Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

Censoreship of the game

TomekPLTomekPL
Hyper Universe Rep: 270
edited July 7 in General Chat
Hello .
I have a question? Is it true that a little censored game? I see slight differences between the characters in this version and the Korean version. Will the censorship be deepened?

Comments

• KingArthurKingArthur
    Hyper Universe Rep: 230
    Well, I know some characters got their names changed...
    But i hope it's just that.
  • 쓰레기쓰레기
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    Can you point out what differences ?
  • TomekPLTomekPL
    The changes are very cosmetic, such as lack of deep neckline in the heroines and changes in the avatars for less .. defiant. As if nothing of such importance, however, the devil is in the details..
  • DongsDongs
    Hyper Universe Rep: 125
    There's been some censorship to some of the artwork to make them less lewd. Here's some comparison gifs for your convenience.

http://imgur.com/faMZj94
    http://imgur.com/a/Ag69i

The actual models appear to be the same as far as I've seen. There's been other changes but the only notable one was Blue Rose, which was mentioned on the patch notes.
  • ValwynValwyn
    Hyper Universe Rep: 135
    Dongs wrote: »
    There's been some censorship to some of the artwork to make them less lewd. Here's some comparison gifs for your convenience.

http://imgur.com/faMZj94
    http://imgur.com/a/Ag69i

The actual models appear to be the same as far as I've seen. There's been other changes but the only notable one was Blue Rose, which was mentioned on the patch notes.

Ruined, they will keep going with the models too and they won´t say anything about it until launch like ncsoft did with mxm the last week i don´t have confident in any asian company
    TomekPLKingArthur
  • RUMMAKERRUMMAKER
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    Whoever did the edits. They made kurenai's left boob way smaller than her right boob =_=
  • Tiago93Tiago93
    Can we make a new thread or use this one to post/share any changes people find between the two versions of the game so people can know whether they want to play the game with these changes or not?
  • TomekPLTomekPL
    Over the weekend I will try to look closely at the differences between the English and Korean versions. A little sad that Nexon America deprives us of icing on the cake .. because some skins in Korean version are really hot and I guess in the future in our version will be a little .. pacified
  • Tiago93Tiago93
    I found that most female characters have had some sort of change in their profile picture in the selection screen. I would like to know what's the reasoning for doing these changes? Are they so afraid of showing some skin? Also I wonder what changes they made to the in game models, but I found out Celine has a wierd looking white line in her ass, while in the korean version she doesn't?? It's ok to have a game where characters kill each other with guns, swords, magic, etc. But boobs?! no way that's too much for their eyes! crazy right?!
    TomekPLEltaninZGabeSkywalkerValwynKingArthur
  • ArcvArcv
    Hyper Universe Rep: 540
    Lol @ "icing on the cake" .... TBH, I really don't mind the censorship

They probably censor some of the characters

1. Put the game on a appropriate scale/level for all players and for the gaming community in general.
    2. Possibly make the game more tolerable to ALL kinds of players.
    3. Adding on the 2nd Point, it could probably be a way of balancing the art to appeal more towards "female" players.
    - Think about it, would you be comfortable seeing or playing a male character with some bulging muscles and a big [ thing ] .
    4. Koreans have a tendency to implement lots of fan service in their games, actually - a lot that characters can sometimes be extremely revealing.
    - Yeah they go overboard..

But yeah, I agree with you - we must all join together and launch a revolution to revoke this madness known as censorship!

Anyways, it really isn't a big deal lol....

RazielWarmonicDr_Cheesesteak
  • TomekPLTomekPL
    Yes its true ! ->
    Arcv wrote: »
    .. we must all join together and launch a revolution to revoke this madness..
    Ps. U r so nervous. :D B)
  • NDGeemNDGeem
    Hyper Universe Rep: 205
    Arcv wrote: »
    Lol @ "icing on the cake" .... TBH, I really don't mind the censorship

They probably censor some of the characters

1. Put the game on a appropriate scale/level for all players and for the gaming community in general.
    2. Possibly make the game more tolerable to ALL kinds of players.
    3. Adding on the 2nd Point, it could probably be a way of balancing the art to appeal more towards "female" players.
    - Think about it, would you be comfortable seeing or playing a male character with some bulging muscles and a big [ thing ] .
    4. Koreans have a tendency to implement lots of fan service in their games, actually - a lot that characters can sometimes be extremely revealing.
    - Yeah they go overboard..

But yeah, I agree with you - we must all join together and launch a revolution to revoke this madness known as censorship!

Anyways, it really isn't a big deal lol....

Just wanted to chime in here as well. Usually Asian games that are trying to go fully global try to localize and tailor the artwork to a more general audience. If you see the Japanese versions of popular anime that has come to America, there's a lot of changes or censorship applied to the artwork or mannerisms before porting them over. Also, western players tend to be a bit more sensitive when it comes to sexually suggestive themes compared to the Asian culture, so they probably want to lessen the blow on those as well.
    RazielWarmonic
  • EltaninZEltaninZ
    Hyper Universe Rep: 235
    Tiago93 wrote: »
    I found that most female characters have had some sort of change in their profile picture in the selection screen. I would like to know what's the reasoning for doing these changes? Are they so afraid of showing some skin? Also I wonder what changes they made to the in game models, but I found out Celine has a wierd looking white line in her ass, while in the korean version she doesn't?? It's ok to have a game where characters kill each other with guns, swords, magic, etc. But boobs?! no way that's too much for their eyes! crazy right?!

I knew I wasn't imagining it. I did notice the weird white line in Celine's outfit, and I could swear that it wasn't there before. I get it that they are trying to cover her butt, but that line just looks weird and very off with the rest of her design – it looks like a piece of white tape, a very bad thought out edit.

Censorship bothers me. To be honest, I think the people who complain about suggestive themes are just a vocal minority – and most western audiences either like it or just don't care about those themes. Those who like the game, your real audience, will play it regardless.

Don't let a louder minority be the reason to continue with this censorship trend in western media. Please don't censor the game.
    ShángGabeSkywalkerDr_Cheesesteak
  • kaiser1onekaiser1one
    Hyper Universe Rep: 105
    I've found that there are many females who play these games and are JUST like guys; they like to see skin. I had a friend who hated that they put more clothing on Seong Mi-Na in Soul Calibur 4 on one of her outfits. The vocal minority tends to forget that even women love this stuff despite it being geared towards males.

Seeing some art that foreign companies do on some mobile games i play, even I question the decision on some of them sometimes. One card game I played had a loli on the card in a suggestive pose and there was a wet spot under her; it wasn't meant to be pee. In the U.S. version, she has some more clothing added to her but same pose and the wet spot is removed. The edited version actually looked better; a rare case but one time I legit approve of "censorship".
  • RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,885
    Administrator
    Hey guys,

A few people have already had great responses in this thread, but I want to take time to answer your questions as well. In alpha, there was a pretty hot debate in a forum thread (which ended up being our longest forum thread for alpha) about how the females are presented in the game, 5 forum pages later a few people agreed that a compromise between super busty/skimpy and covering up might be for the best. This is what we are attempting to do. We want to keep the appeal of the female characters (and males for that matter!) while not offending anyone. We want to keep the artist's integrity in-check, but make the game inviting to not only play, but watch as well.

The changes so far have been pretty minimal, mainly focused on reducing chest size a little bit, making the physics a bit more realistic (there were some funny side effects of reducing the chest and not adjusting the physics), and slightly covering up chests to not reveal as much bust line. This is going to be a case-by-case thing. Not every Hyper and skin in the future will get this treatment.

All-in-all, we want to keep the general designs of the current Hypers and skins, so if modifications are made in the future they will likely go the way of what you already have seen - slightly more covering shirts/tunics and reduced breast size.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to elaborate where I can. For upcoming Hypers and skins, you'll just have to wait until the next test to see for now, sorry. ;)

Cheers,
    Raz

P.S. the white line on Celine's behind is a bug, and I have notified the team.
  • GabeSkywalkerGabeSkywalker
    Hyper Universe Rep: 565
    Um... Aren't all these changes going to take away the game's essence?

I've been into this game from way before Alpha (I play Vindictus, so i lurk nexon's website quite often, as soon as i saw the Hyper Universe announce i registered for testing); Why do i start with this? as i always say, what got me into HU was the characters design: Kim Bum who is the artist behind Vindictus, also made the art in Hyper Universe, i love, appreciate AND respect his work a lot.

So i knew the "localization" would affect this game of course (as all Asian games that want to make it into the west), i was well aware of that; that eventually people would complain really hard because characters are "way to sexualized", and say that they feel offended (honestly, why, it's a game, it's idealism, not realism), that they should nerf some parts of the body (female only... they don't care about male characters AT ALL.... sounds familiar?:
    )
    and many other things...

My posture (same thing i mentioned in the alpha forum thread that Raziel mentioned): They should be left as they are, that's the artist's work, and that's showing the artist respect towards their work, of course exceptions have to be done if needed (for example, china skeleton and gory stuff censorship) but overall, i don't see what would be the problem here

So being honest i still like the game, i'm still looking forward to it, but these kind of changes really discourage me, the game starts to lose it's essence trying to keep complainers happy (on top of that they'll see the game all censored, never play it again and just say "my work here is done").
    For example Blue Rose portrait change, i still don't see why it's needed, on top of that the new portrait doesn't look cool at all (before it looked like she's beauty/hot/sexy AND deadly, now it looks like, "hey, it's the angry girl with guns!"), what's next? they going to completely remake Camilla the succubus? or even worse, they won't release her here because she is way "too sexy"?

On top of that another thing Raziel said that really discouraged me a lot is "if modifications are to be made in the future ... slightly more covering shirts/tunics and reduced breast size" seriously? people can't stand to see cleavage or big breasts in games? people in western countries can stand watching (not just in games, also in TV shows and Movies) murder, gore, even bowels but they can't stan't watching some cleavage or big breasts because it's the worst sin that someone could ever commit.... (like Krusty the clown once said: Remeber, kids. TV violence is fine as long as you don't show a nipple.)
    xXRangerXx47KingArthurSuperiority
  • xXRangerXx47xXRangerXx47
    Hyper Universe Rep: 345

Well sh*t, took the words right of my mouth... :/

• RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,885
    Administrator
    The game's essence is a 4v4 side-scrolling MOBA, the art supplements it, and I enjoy the art as well!

Again, though, we are compromising between the two parties. We want the game to be more accessible to people of all ages, occupations, etc. We heard more than a few times, in person and in private on-line, "Yeah, I wouldn't want my daughter/son seeing this". That is not a good image. It is painfully obvious the Asian and Western markets are different, or else we wouldn't be doing these minimal changes to appeal to the Western market while keeping the overall artistic integrity in-check like I mentioned before.

Trust me when I say we are not thinking short-term with this game, we are thinking long-term and about the side effects of the changes. We are not just "knee-jerking" to react to a "couple" of complainers. I realize these changes will not make everyone happy, but I hope you can at least see it from our point of view when it comes to marketing of the game, overall enjoyment, content creators, and more.

You do not have to worry about Hypers and Skins being withheld (barring legal issues).

I hope this quells your fears a bit, @GabeSkywalker.
  • GabeSkywalkerGabeSkywalker
    Hyper Universe Rep: 565
    @RazielWarmonic well i will have to respectfully disagree with a couple points you mention, but also i'll start saying that i do agree with others.

I agree with the HU team thinking long-term, the game has to be a hit (both because it's all the HU team's effort that has to be acknowledged, and because despite the fun part, it's still a company's work whose final goal is to get profit, generate jobs to many programmers, writers, international relationships experts, artists, and many many other people, so it's no small feat.), us players want the game to grow so we have others to play with, and the HU team wants the game to grow for it to be a success.

Also i agree with how both markets are that different, in Asia censorship goes in the violence way, in Western countries goes the "sexualization" way, that also generates a endless discussion on "censor this/why did you censor this" that i hope to avoid at all costs (in the end it won't do any good to either community or the forum).

Having said that: i completely undestand the HU team's point of view, also i once wanted to become a Game Developer (Indie or company) and i know that dealing with community is no easy task, have to find a mid-point to try to keep most parties satisfied

On the other side, i disagree when you said that art supplements the game essence, i think the art being a core of games essence (in the end what makes this game different from other games?, what if another game comes up with the same mechanics?), many games were defined by its art department, and despite some games main goal being the gameplay, controls or something more mechanical or even mathematical, the art breathe life into them. I'm no artist but i know that if i worked in a game's art department, i would do my absolute best to make the art breathe life into the game, have the art make the game stand out as much as possible and find a way for players to feel identified with the game, to feel part of the game, of the world presented in it.

Again, just some quick thoughts, tbh i'm demotivated a bit after reading this whole thread, but i still hope the game does great and grows a lot, becomes something big, still there is some way to go, so we'll see how those "minimal" changes do.
  • ValwynValwyn
    Hyper Universe Rep: 135
    edited July 6
    some stuffs i will never understand from video game companies:

1-making videogames -18 years old to have a large audience
    kids do whatever they want these days and these laws you are not able to use belts

all kids between 12 years old these days are playing COD included my nephews, and just see those kids these days using their mother's finger when they are sleeping to buy stuffs in his +18 games, when you guys going to understand, old people like my father and some classic people are playing mario, not the kids.

2-Videogames companies reading SJW teams around webs
    they don't even play videogames, they don't buy anything since they win alot money with ads and their baits. it's their job.

i am going to tell you a little secret guys, SJW will critique females character even they are only able to see their eyes only here in the west. all your efforts are in vain.

3-all asian companies doing censures.
    i wonder if they check the forums, i have been playing alot asian mmorpg and when they censore something only 2 of 10 are happy about it, not even the half, we don´t even have kssn here people and kids just download what they want

the market has changed and instead focusing making censure focus in the map because i found heroes fun but your map is very boring and short, i already sent you a long feedback, i won't stop playing LoL for this even less with censures.