Closed

Censoreship of the game

Comments

• KenomaKenoma
    Hyper Universe Rep: 145
    Hegoken wrote: »
    People want choice, they don't want to be dictated what they can and cannot be exposed to. I understand your team thinks what they're doing is right, but you don't want to already cause a rupture in your fanbase this early in the game. It's particularly difficult if the game originally came out with the original artstyle, which attracted the players to the game and then change it and even take it away.

If Hyper Universe gives uses the censorship toggle system, I believe your team will come out as heroes, a company that believe people are responsible enough to know what they can expose to themselves. I strongly believe giving your community the choice would be Hyper Universe's best interest.

I see all those upvotes and the positivity surrounding that video and I can't see the same being replicated when the inevitable Youtuber comes out with a news piece on these changes. I'm already aware that Censored Gaming (A fairly large Youtuber within the subject) has already set out plans to make a video on this game. That video will not bring in players, and we will have even more negative attention on this game. Please HU devs broaden your horizons and understand that people will go a little crazy over things like this because of the climate going on right now. HU isn't OW or LOL and it will hurt the game severely when changes like these are made.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    Hyper Universe Rep: 330
    edited September 2, 2017
    Just to reiterate:

Yes, we have adjusted some of the female and male Hyper models and poses... though the debate seems to only be about the female characters' looks. Actually the debate seems to be almost exclusively about breast size. On a scale of 1 to 10, we changed some female breast sizes from a 15 to about a 10. For some, this was going too far.

It’s our stance that there is a difference between sexy and lewd and that difference matters in the Western market. Let’s be fair, if we had wanted to completely sanitize the game, we’d have Tatyana in a turtleneck poncho and rocking workboots. We did not do that.

One argument is that we are “messing with the artist’s vision” of the game. Everything we do is done in partnership with the dev team in Korea, so all the changes you see are implemented by the original artists and agreed upon by the Korean development team.

We want our Hypers to be appealing and powerful and even sexy. We also want them to be characters everyone can enjoy and can freely share with others. We believe these minor changes, which have absolutely no impact on gameplay, are positive for the overall appeal of the game without completely changing the core of what makes the characters unique.

We stand by the small changes that we have made.

Edit: Wordage

Look at this game activity - under 500 online. That is how you know western market.

Ofc game developers agreed to this changes. They are work in corporation, so they have to abey to the orders. But thats is still against oryginal game art design of this game.

You can stand by this "small changes". But in this case I stand stop support this game by any way, you will not see from me even single $ anymore.
  • KingArthurKingArthur
    Hyper Universe Rep: 390
    edited September 2, 2017
    Kenoma wrote: »
    5c5cfd87c636af960efda1f71967a62562583aa5b38731fbba29a1d84f94710e.png

This was shared by another user.

I suspect that comment to be entirely fake. Look carefully, the thumbnail image is incorrect, she has her eyes closed. The name is also incorrect, there's a space in between RazielWarmonic's name (there's no name in the real version).

Of course if I'm wrong, provide evidence and links to the original source for me to analyze.

https://gyazo.com/c1b0e0cd99702977f3322ceebeac8eb6?token=15afec28edfc47b2b161c81fc96fe429
    Offical HU discord not the founder's one. What I'm mainly confused about is if bust changes are coming to KR since we were told those were NA specific. If so gonna have to drop this game.

Wow, even Korea is getting changed now?

Well, ain't that lovely... Screwing us wasn't enough i guess.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    edited September 2, 2017
    KingArthur wrote: »

I suspect that comment to be entirely fake. Look carefully, the thumbnail image is incorrect, she has her eyes closed. The name is also incorrect, there's a space in between RazielWarmonic's name (there's no name in the real version).

Of course if I'm wrong, provide evidence and links to the original source for me to analyze.

https://gyazo.com/c1b0e0cd99702977f3322ceebeac8eb6?token=15afec28edfc47b2b161c81fc96fe429
    Offical HU discord not the founder's one. What I'm mainly confused about is if bust changes are coming to KR since we were told those were NA specific. If so gonna have to drop this game.

Look at sudden attack 2 - nexon do love to kill own games.
    I guess that is reason of EA - grab cash and run.
  • SayaneSayane
    Hyper Universe Rep: 200
    edited September 2, 2017
    AFKzor wrote: »
    KingArthur wrote: »

Look at sudden attack 2 - nexon do love to kill own games.
    I guess that is reason of EA - grab cash and run.

Also Ghost in the Shell: FA, I got robbed of the $30 I put into the early access. They took the $ and are running away. Game barely left early access (EA)... not to mention dirty bomb, it got shut down by Nexon but revived by the developers or somethin' like that.

My lesson is: Don't buy EA games from Nexon.
    Thank god I got hyper universe for free cause I was in the beta.

Why is Nexon putting a F2P game in EA and charging for it? think about it, they spent $$$ localizing this game, if it fail then they at least recovered some $$$ thanks to the suckers who paid for the game. An early acces MOBA published by a HUGE company, Nexon, if it was an indie developer chargin' for a game similar to this then its ok, they probably have good intentions and using that $ to further develop the game.

But a big publisher like Nexon charging $$ to play a game that's going to be f2p? Scummy, they gonna take all the money they can upfront before it goes f2p and then it shuts down along the road after a couple of months, just like with Ghost in the Shell.
    KingArthur
  • WatchGintamaWatchGintama
    Hyper Universe Rep: 560
    edited September 2, 2017
    They get a couple grand or less considering the free access and 500 players and in return they added on censorship on top of what Nexon is already known for.

Can't see the logic in doing this. This is my last post since I never got the reply I needed to see.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    edited September 2, 2017
    Btw. I go went to http://www.mmorpg.com site and what I see:
    2b005ef592d7e9fc180aa410dbe4310e.jpg

Uncensored version of Kurenai on the advertisement, with link to the steam shop. That is not longer outdated graphic on the game site but paid FALSE advertisement. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32006L0114

Beside fact, the nexon consider original art as lewd, still use it for false advertising the game. Something here is not ok.
    ChristmasChanDarkside_Hero
  • ChristmasChanChristmasChan
    Hyper Universe Rep: 520
    Just to reiterate:

Yes, we have adjusted some of the female and male Hyper models and poses... though the debate seems to only be about the female characters' looks. Actually the debate seems to be almost exclusively about breast size. On a scale of 1 to 10, we changed some female breast sizes from a 15 to about a 10. For some, this was going too far.

It’s our stance that there is a difference between sexy and lewd and that difference matters in the Western market. Let’s be fair, if we had wanted to completely sanitize the game, we’d have Tatyana in a turtleneck poncho and rocking workboots. We did not do that.

One argument is that we are “messing with the artist’s vision” of the game. Everything we do is done in partnership with the dev team in Korea, so all the changes you see are implemented by the original artists and agreed upon by the Korean development team.

We want our Hypers to be appealing and powerful and even sexy. We also want them to be characters everyone can enjoy and can freely share with others. We believe these minor changes, which have absolutely no impact on gameplay, are positive for the overall appeal of the game without completely changing the core of what makes the characters unique.

We stand by the small changes that we have made.

Edit: Wordage

not to be rude, but that blue rose change was NOT a "small" change no matter how much you try to say it is.
  • ChristmasChanChristmasChan
    Hyper Universe Rep: 520
    edited September 2, 2017
    AFKzor wrote: »
    Btw. I go went to http://www.mmorpg.com site and what I see:
    2b005ef592d7e9fc180aa410dbe4310e.jpg

Uncensored version of Kurenai on the advertisement, with link to the steam shop. That is not longer outdated graphic on the game site but paid FALSE advertisement. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32006L0114

Beside fact, the nexon consider original art as lewd, still use it for false advertising the game. Something here is not ok.

VERY good point. the facebook ads that lured me into the game also had uncensored art, not to mention the steam trailer also had the succubus portrayed and she isnt even in the game yet. advertising with what you consider "lewd" versions of the art just to entice people into playing the game and then censoring it because of people who wont touch the game is actually not cool.
    QondarDarkside_Hero
  • DualToothBrushesYe4DualToothBrushesYe4
    Hyper Universe Rep: 375
    If the entire community asks enough, is it possible they'll make it a toggle on/off option for the art? I'd really, really prefer that to making the art changes apply to everyone, including those who disagree with the changes.
    Also how do I change my name :c it won't let me when I click edit profile...
    Qondar
  • QondarQondar
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    I bought the founder's pack on steam yesterday...then found out about the censorship, and got a refund. The game looked like a lot of fun, but I can't tolerate changing the art for NA.
    If the entire community asks enough, is it possible they'll make it a toggle on/off option for the art? I'd really, really prefer that to making the art changes apply to everyone, including those who disagree with the changes.
    I think a toggle is a great idea...that's exactly what I was going to suggest. The censored version could even be the default, for all I care...as long as there's an option to switch to the original Korean assets.

So yes, if a toggle was added, my money and I would love to come back!
  • KenomaKenoma
    Hyper Universe Rep: 145
    They get a couple grand or less considering the free access and 500 players and in return they added on censorship on top of what Nexon is already known for.

Can't see the logic in doing this. This is my last post since I never got the reply I needed to see.

https://steamspy.com/app/591530
    I'll say that most of these accounts are from the beta considering how generous they were with keys. Steamspy is pretty accurate and it is safe to say the amount of owners of this game on the site are generally close to the real ones.

I look at what is going on in HU and I remember other failed MOBAs I tried like Dawngate, Infinite Crisis, and Strife. Please devs hear the pleas from your community and be the bigger man in this situation. Lest you end up like all the other dead on arrival F2P games.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
    As the censorship debate rages on between the fan and the Hyper Universe's admins, I guess there's a simple fact we must all acknowledge. Our actions speak louder than words, and louder than countless posts on their forums.

When I originally got into Hyper Universe, I got super excited as to how over-the-top, the game was. From the baby drinking vampire's story to the buxom ladies that littered the roster. This was a series that I really wanted to support. Pushing the bill and taking things to new limits is a very brave thing that Korea set out to create, and they achieved it.

Unfortunately North America's localization is already altering and censoring the game. First it starts small, but it snowball into something worse and worse.
    What's most horrific about this is the community raised their voices to the forums and try to defend the game and its beautiful art and features that was why they were drawn to playing this game.
    I gave a solution of having a toggle option for censoring the game so that it would cater to both parties, those why don't like sexuality in their games and for those who like sexy stuff.
    (you can read the post here): http://forums.hyperuniverse.nexon.net/discussion/3602/censorship-option-and-the-power-of-choice

Hyper Universe's staff refused to even acknowledge the solution, even if the community found it to be perfect for both parties. I ran a poll asking if this solution was acceptable, and you can see the result for yourself in the link above.

In the time since beta I had playing this game, I got 3 of my friends into this game, and soon to be 6 players into this game, which one of them was gonna get another 2 of his friends into the game, who played League of Legends with us. That's a total of 5 new players from a single beta tester like myself IN JUST 3 WEEKS of playing this game since the first closed beta.
    Now that the censoring thing started happening and Hyper Universe's admin refuses to compromise with us, well it may turned out nobody will be jumping into this game from the 5 players.

If the censored version goes live, I cannot in good conscience support this game. I will leave it behind, and spend my $60 that I set aside for the skins in this game (including the sexy succubus angel skin, which they censored), and I will spend this $60 on Nier: Automata instead.

The creator of Nier: Automata commits to his artistic vision, and has an artistic integrity that is legendary. Even in the face of people flaming him and calling out his sexualizing of the main character, 2B, he faced them all down and didn't budge and stuck to his original vision. This is a man I will support, I originally didn't buy the game because I can only buy so many games, originally I chose this one.

Some may think we're blowing this out of proportion by walking away from breast reductions on chicks, or splash arts being altered and such, but my friends and I are people of principle. We support those who support their fans, and who listen to us. In return, we support them further. If they refuse to listen to those who support them, and instead want to deprive us of choice, then we support them no longer.

I don't think I'm the only one with this train of thought. I know my brother who is a beta tester like myself agrees he will leave this game as well, my best friend also agreed to leave, and my coworker is already leaving because he hates censorship and doesn't support it. That's 4 players gone.

Yes that's almost nothing in the grand scheme of things, but we are SPEAKING THROUGH OUR ACTIONS. We will not be dictated as to what we may or may not be exposed to, and will will not be left with no choice. If the Hyper Universe won't support us as we have tried to support them, then there is no further reason to stay.

I am not telling the community to leave Hyper Universe, that is not the point.
    The point is if you don't agree and don't want to support a company that wants to deny you choice, then think about why you're staying with Hyper Universe. If you're okay with them changing things how they see fit, and not caring about your thoughts or opinions, then keep playing and supporting them; buy all the skins you can and give them more money. THE CHOICE IS YOURS TO MAKE.

Know that OUR ACTION WILL SHOW, the Hyper Universe Admins the results of our action as well as theirs. Please tell your friends and direct them to this thread. WE NEED AS MANY VOICES AS POSSIBLE.
    QondarTomekPL
  • DualToothBrushesYe4DualToothBrushesYe4
    Hyper Universe Rep: 375
    edited September 2, 2017
    I thought the point of having a paid Early Access was to have feedback from the players who were passionate about the game, as they worded it on Steam. =(
    This censorship thing is one of the only topics I'm seeing about this game online. If it's causing so much backlash, I'd hope they would try to address this correctly, especially seeing as how the suggestion of adding the option to toggle censorship on/off would work fine with their given reason for censoring in the first place and would please pretty much every player going on about this. From what I can tell, the majority of the players who actually care about this game also care very much about how they'll handle censorship, no matter how small it may seem. pleasepleaseplease

Also, I take it that the poll isn't only pertaining to only this particular case with the censorship, but regarding how they'll address player feedback in general in the future by using this instance as an example. So it's not merely "I wanted boobs D: I quit." I feel like they should at least address why they won't add the toggle option for censorship if they're not adding it.
    Darkside_Hero
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    @DualToothBrushesYe4

Well they are open for discussions about the actual game as far as i have seen, but this censorship matter is pretty much over. A quite recent admin post said "we stand by our small changes", which for me translates in "it's not changing no matter how many polls,threads or complaints we get about it". They already got the major backlash so if they where open to discussion about the matter we would have heard it by now.

It's time to drop the discussion as there is no point anymore in doing so. The only thing people can do now is quit the game and hope it has any sort of effect. Making threads and polls doesn't work as we have seen already.
    Shakrina
  • HegokenHegoken
    Rawrzory wrote: »
    @DualToothBrushesYe4

Well they are open for discussions about the actual game as far as i have seen, but this censorship matter is pretty much over. A quite recent admin post said "we stand by our small changes", which for me translates in "it's not changing no matter how many polls,threads or complaints we get about it". They already got the major backlash so if they where open to discussion about the matter we would have heard it by now.

It's time to drop the discussion as there is no point anymore in doing so. The only thing people can do now is quit the game and hope it has any sort of effect. Making threads and polls doesn't work as we have seen already.

The purpose of this particular thread and poll is to provide them with the result of their actions or not listening to their community, and not even bothering to cater to both parties, the one that desires censorship, and the once that prefer the original artwork and aesthetics.

Still blows my mind why they won't even bother to address the toggle option for the censorship.

I'm sure if they see the numbers of people that are willing to leave a company that doesn't want to listen to them, it may at the very least make them think twice in the future.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    The purpose of this particular thread and poll is to provide them with the result of their actions or not listening to their community, and not even bothering to cater to both parties, the one that desires censorship, and the once that prefer the original artwork and aesthetics.

Still blows my mind why they won't even bother to address the toggle option for the censorship.

I'm sure if they see the numbers of people that are willing to leave a company that doesn't want to listen to them, it may at the very least make them think twice in the future.

Most people don't even use these forums (steam is ALLOT more active) and even then how many of the people that play games actually use forums at all ? If this game would fail it would simply mean the gameplay wasn't good enough. Censorship will have little to do with it. If the gameplay is good it will survive (look at overwatch censorship it's still extremely succesful even when catering souly to SJW's), if its bad it will die out even with reverting the changes.
  • shadowjesusshadowjesus
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    edited September 2, 2017
    They have listened. Not getting what you want doesn't mean they aren't listening or worried about the game. They addressed the art asset changes, and they're sticking by them. You guys need to grow up. Like just go to e-hentai if you need to beat it to animu tiddys.

And why are you guys incapable of not bringing up "SJWs". Do you guys project this much in your daily life?
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    Nexon's decisions killed Sudden Attack 2.

Nexon's decisions will probably kill this game too.

It should serve as an example for other localizers who try to censor things before bringing them to NA.
    Darkside_HeroAFKzor
  • HegokenHegoken
    They have listened. Not getting what you want doesn't mean they aren't listening or worried about the game. They addressed the art asset changes, and they're sticking by them. You guys need to grow up. Like just go to e-hentai if you need to beat it to animu tiddys.

And why are you guys incapable of not bringing up "SJWs". Do you guys project this much in your daily life?

This is a place for civil conversation, I have not once mentioned social justice warriors (until now that is), and it's not a matter of hentai or perversion. It's about listening to the community. To have a solution that would be mutually beneficial to both sides of the argument and not even ATTEMPTING to pursue it. Instead they ignore the community and dictate what is best for us, whether we like it or not.

You are more than welcome to share your thoughts, but please be respectful.
This discussion has been closed.