Hops and Cancels

001ofMany001ofMany
Hyper Universe Rep: 375
in Game Guides
More advanced mechanics that the vets are probably looking at and laughing since it's coming from me, but I don't see many folks utilizing these tricks.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Cancel mechanic and probably already have some pretty cool and "creative" tricks up your sleeves so if you wouldn't mind sharing a couple of them here that would be swell. :)

Here's one: (For my Boo Ryta.) Recoil Dash. Cancel Recoil Shot immediately- and i mean immediatly, as in "before the attack even comes out!" into a Dash. If done in the opponents face, you'll slow the enemy and switch sides. Pretty good mind game tool, but can also help you chase down your targets. Watching them not know where to run is always funny.

Jumping attacks on the other hand don't get much love. Which makes sense since it's only a benefit to those who can do them right, and don't allow for much... "creativity". If you aren't aware, all Characters can cancel their jumps with an attack. "What's the point of that?" you ask. Well, most characters don't need to reset their basic attacks if they do it in the air, it also puts you on the ground faster (if you're going up), or gets you on the ground later (if you're coming down) while also saying "No" to jump pads. You can also move freely in the air during your attack. I'll be referring to jump attack canceling (attacking before you reach apex of your jump) as "Hops"... because no one else has given it a name as far as I know and so I claim this in the name of the Many Faced GOD!

*Jump attack canceling in this game should not to be confused with the fighting game term which refers to canceling an attack by performing a jump to cancel the recovery animation of the attack. In fact this is literally the opposite; canceling the jump by performing an attack.

Hops, are a lot harder to get good at and aren't really mentioned in game. Depending on how early you cancel the jump and how quickly you can do another, you can basically ignore whatever your attack speed is and can move around freely while attacking. The sooner you cancel the jump with an attack, the lower the attack is to the ground, the faster you will land, and the faster you can repeat. Melees have the easiest time spamming this since they have a better hit-box on their jump attacks so I won't really be focusing on them. Let's focus on the Ranged Characters for now, because the potential abuse of this gimmick is pretty sweet and offers more in terms of separating the wheat from the chaff in terms of skill.

Characters with fatso projectiles (like Aisha and Ignitia) can spam Hop Shots (*name pending) pretty easily. They have to be lower to the ground than melees but duh. Celine, Jack, and Cain can as well but they feel like they need to be even lower to the ground than Aiz and Igz to hit anything. Same goes for Piny. She needs to be pretty friggin low. Blue Rose has hop shots too but GOOD LORD!! the timing is insane (feels like a 1Frame cancel) and even than can't hit them shorties. Tatyana can... but can't, since her projectile is too small to hit anything so... she can style with it. Her attack speed is pretty good anyway so don't worry about it.

Then there are those you don't have hops (thank goodness) Ryta, Elendis, and Turner. I mean, they can jump attack obviously, but their attacks still need to reset so they don't benefit from the attack speed potential, but do it for the freedom to move whilst poking. Ryta already has built in mobility and attack speed in her kit, and her attacks cancel into each other anyway. She doesn't really need more, but I can talk about Ryta for days... let's move on. Can you imaging Elendis with a healing machine gun? and... Screw Turner... He's good.

*Keep in mind that some smaller targets like the typical minion, Pinky, and Green Pit Bull make it tougher to land your hop shots (I don't think B.Rose's hop shots can even touch Pinky she's so short.)

Here's another: Ryta's Hop Shot Back (press Jump>Attack>hold Back in that order) if done really low and fast enough looks like a stunted Recoil Shot. Use it to bait the opponent into thinking you just wasted one of your escape tools. Then hit 'em with the Recoil Dash to STYLE on 'em!
SyR_SnOwCrewPlasmachaser

Comments

• SyR_SnOwSyR_SnOw
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,440
    Well thought out and detailed, nice job! Style points for fighting game references as well.
    001ofMany
  • CrewCrew
    Hyper Universe Rep: 470
    Unfortunately I don't know many tricks besides what you already mentioned PLUS I'm bad at them, but I do know one thing I've learned from watching KR games! I'm not sure if this works through every wall, but at the end of the top tower lane you can use Aisha's Snowstorm ability through the wall to surprise and even pick up a kill or 2.

Not really mechanics I guess but general tips mostly towards new players:
    1. With Victoria you can use Sinner's Prayers after grabbing a tower's aggro in the late game to tank it for your team.
    2. Not too many people know that you can cancel Kurenai's Black Claw in mid-air with a couple Hypers. Right now I've only had Tatyana's Heat-Seakers and Valter's Daybreak do this, so there might be more. (I've learned this the hard way. :s)
    3. I've been with a couple Green Pit Bulls that didn't know Parasitic Blossom acts as a ward. Read them skills yo!
    001ofMany
  • PlasmachaserPlasmachaser
    Hyper Universe Rep: 155
    Let me see if I can add on some character specific stuff.
    If you do Jennifer's W (Hyper Charge) at any charge amount and it HITS (this part is important), you can cancel the remaining animation with any other move. You can also change your facing direction.

Another Jennifer specific trick. If you get a knock down from your Ultimate (Hyper Haymaker), you can "teleport" (not sure if this is intended or a graphical error on my end) to the knocked down body by pressing A (Hyper Stomp) and forward as long as stomp is not on cooldown.

Applying both of these you can do W (Hyper Charge), Q (Hyper Pummel) in the opposite direction, R (Hyper Haymaker), A (Hyper Stomp)+forward. This last hit should teleport you to the downed body. Try it out in Training mode, it looks insane. Note- this is not a good combo to use due to your ult being very avoidable.
    001ofMany
  • WillJoestarWillJoestar
    Hyper Universe Rep: 180
    Think I saw it on a KR stream but Migenhardt coffin skill was able to tank tower damage don't think he took any damage for a few seconds.

Quick question, do you think it's easier to hop cancel on a pad or keyboard most streamers I've seen are using Keyboard, Yenny, Ozma. Etc and if Koreans are playing on a PC bong then yeah keyboard.
  • DuWryghtDuWryght
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,095
    I believe the term is called skipping (the low jump, moving attack).

Only works with certain hypers though can be useful when fleeing/pursuing.
  • 001ofMany001ofMany
    Think I saw it on a KR stream but Migenhardt coffin skill was able to tank tower damage don't think he took any damage for a few seconds.

Quick question, do you think it's easier to hop cancel on a pad or keyboard most streamers I've seen are using Keyboard, Yenny, Ozma. Etc and if Koreans are playing on a PC bong then yeah keyboard.

Matter of preference really, and muscle memory. I believe those dudes been at it since alpha, or even have some time in on the KR version, so they might be more accustomed to the keyboard layout if that's what they're using. Controller support didn't really come in till CBT and even then it was kinda wonky. I use the Hori Fight Commander 4 and find it easier to do than on Keyboard, but again, that's just me.
    DuWryght wrote: »
    I believe the term is called skipping (the low jump, moving attack).

Only works with certain hypers though can be useful when fleeing/pursuing.

Nope! It's called Hops and I've already claimed it! lol

It's pretty great against towers and big monsters too. and don't forget about the mind games. faking an escape on the jump-pads has saved my booty enough times for me to appreciate this underrated gimmick.
    Plasmachaser
  • 001ofMany001ofMany
    edited September 13, 2017
    figured i'd get back to this with some more stuff.

Jennifer: So, I've been messing around with her lately and ya, Hyper Charge cancels on hit into ANYTHING. At first, all of her other moves seem to be better tools, but i think getting really good at the on hit-cancels of Hyper Charge will be the mark of a real HYPER HERO! as well as understanding how to exploit her Impact Gauge. Here's some gimmicks that work. I've taken the liberty of giving them names cuz why not?

Punch Brake: After hitting the enemy with Hyper Charge, a Normal attack (anything really) will cancel the remaining travel distance.

If you wanna cancel that distance, I would recommend the normal attack because it's no big deal if you whiff it and it will give you a decent visual queue for the direction you'll wanna face and you can move slightly in a direction by pressing and hold that direction (basic stuff). Also, Normal attacks cancel into anything, so this acts as a buffer to help you not whiff the good stuff.

*this is just a tip but after hyper charge, i plink into normal, and then into the move i want really fast. if normal whiffs, the next move won't come out, but if it hits, then the move does. OPTION SELECTS BABY!!

Hero Landing: Hyper Crash (through stage), Pummel, Charge.
    Your basic ganking combo. It'll save your ONE PUNCH and your dash, while doing everything else you need to set up the ambush. Stuns the enemy, re positions them, and gets you outta there fast.

*Adding a Hyper Smash and a Normal Attack between Pummel and Charge will leave the enemy downed after you charge outta there, which means once your safe and away from the danger, you can jump back into the fray with a stomp if you feel you need to.
    (Crash, Pummel, Smash, Normal, Charge, Stomp)
    *If 1 of the 3 following items are equipped/enhanced, a Normal attack isn't necessary for downing the opponent(s). Having 2 will Down the opponents at the end of Charge without the need for a Smash or a Normal.
    Hero's Mask
    Rapid Bracer
    Galatic Suit

*If Infinity Symbol is equipped/enhanced, a Normal attack isn't necessary for downing the opponent(s).
    Thing to note from this point on: Hyper Charge can be canceled LITERALLY in opponents face. So, when I mention "On hit-cancels" that's what I mean; when you two are sharing the same SOUL!

The "L" Dunk: Hyper Charge (on hit-cancel), Hyper Crash. (Calling it the "L" Dunk cuz it makes an "L" shape... duh.)
    Pretty cool gimmick that if done with 80 or more Impacts (65 or more with Hero's Mask equipped/enhanced) you get a guaranteed crash (dunk). Even if it's done with less, if you cancel the charge immediately on hit, it'll be pretty tricky for the enemy to escape unless they have a dash, a stun, or they are in an immunity state (like Trak's ult), all of which you should be able to bait out pretty easily.

if done raw: adds 45 to the Impact guage (+10 if with Galatic Suit equipped/enhancement)

Ally-Oop: Hyper Haymaker, Stomp, Hyper Crash.
    This one just looks dope, and can be used for two reason's:
    1) Displacing the enemy and stun locking them for a good amount of time.
    2) Escaping bad situations.
    Haymaker blasts the enemies hit in the direction you're facing and gives you a free stomp which also teleports you to the downed enemy. Putting crash at the end of it forces them to waste a hard cc or a dash to get away. But you can use them as a means of escape (impractical, i know). But let's say you find yourself in a tough spot and manage to land the ONE PAWNCH! stomping on 'em puts you somewhere else much faster than just running and/or dashing would, and the crash can be used to leave that floor completely. So I'm calling it the Ally-Oop cuz you're passing the ball to yourself for a dunk or a "pass"... get it?

... shut up...
    ...I thought it was clever...

Pretzel Combo: Haymaker, Stomp, Crash, Pummel, Charge, Stomp.
    (because both stomps come from opposite ends of the enemy, making it look like you made a pretzel on the screen... or the infinite symbol... whatever.)
    So this one is dumb on so many levels but DOPE AF!! it requires 2 of 3 following items:

Hero's Mask
    Rapid Bracer
    Galatic Suit

The Ultimate Combo that'll uses up ALL your moves and requires 2 equipment slots! CAN YOU HANDLE IT!? The only hard part of this combo is landing that Haymaker, otherwise you get 2 free stomps and a enough stuns spaced out far enough to decide whether you want that 2nd stomp or not, and fairly easy to do. Ending it with the charge will leave the enemy downed for you and puts you far enough away to make your decision. "should i finish the pretzel or nah?" if you wanna finish the pretzel. Stomp on 'Em!!

The Plazmachaser: Charge (on hit-cancel),Pummel, Haymaker, Stomp
    (Because this sh*t WORKS!! and mah boi Plazmachaser mentioned this the combo so credit goes to him. Here are some tips to help expand on it.)
    You're gonna want somewhere between *60-79 Impacts on your target for a guaranteed Haymaker.

*45-64 if Hero's Mask or Rapid Bracer is equipped/enhanced
    *20-44 if you have Both on

This'll down the enemy long enough for the Haymaker to come out. Now... STOMP ON 'EM!!
    Throwing a punch brake in there will also help you land a Pummel.
    Plasmachaser