Keyboard or Controller? Is one recommended more?

DualToothBrushesYe4DualToothBrushesYe4
Hyper Universe Rep: 375
edited September 2, 2017 in General Chat
Is it just up to preference or do they actually recommend playing on a controller more? Anyone happens to know if the game was designed around using one over the other or anything?
sry if this was already asked
Edit: Also my highest resolution in-game seems to be 1440x812. Is there any way to get a better option? :C Kinda hard to read the texts since they're kinda small for me.
Also, does the game support PS4 controllers? It looks like it was expecting me to use an xbox controller, so I don't know if it'll mess up if I use a PS4 controller instead.

Comments

• DualToothBrushesYe4DualToothBrushesYe4
    edited September 2, 2017
    Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to really bring attention to this issue that I'm having
    I'm trying out the PS4 controller, and it seems the game is extremely sensitive to the up and down motions on the L stick? When I'm moving forward or backwards, it always makes me spazz out around ladders, going up and down. Even when I don't tilt it up or down (maybe a slight bit unconsciously, but then it feels too sensitive if that's the case).

Any way to make it less sensitive to the down/up directions?
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    Using a xbox controller myself, but i adjusted the dead zone in steam big picture mode . No idea if you can do the same for a PS4 controller.
  • DualToothBrushesYe4DualToothBrushesYe4
    edited September 2, 2017
    Oh, ok. I'm just using Keyboard for now, but double pressing <- or -> key makes me dash. Is there any way to disable that? I'd rather press the F key to dash, and due to these controls my character sometimes randomly dashes when I quickly move around.... Then I get screwed during fights or ambushes.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    If you go into the options and then go to gameplay there is the option to "dash via hotkey only". Put that on "on"
    DualToothBrushesYe4
  • ChristmasChanChristmasChan
    Hyper Universe Rep: 520
    Im not using a controller, but i honestly think a controller is better for this game. i just hate using keyboard as a single controller for side scrollers, way too bulky...
  • squiddlydoosquiddlydoo
    Hyper Universe Rep: 425
    edited September 3, 2017
    I think both work perfectly fine. Personally, I tried playing with a controller, felt a bit weird for some unknown reason. I'm more of a PC guy so I don't know. I'm using WASD to move, Q, E, R, F for the top row skills, 2x Side mouse buttons for the normal and heavy attack, Left Shift for Dash, C for Interaction, Space for jump and then Left CTRL for items. Honestly, it works pretty darn well so far!
  • LingtseLingtse
    Hyper Universe Rep: 140
    I use Keyboard. However, the alphas and betas originally did not have controller support and was later added. There were threads and request about it iirc. So I believe they think that is what the community wants, so I wouldn't be surprised if controller play was pushed a little more.
  • BroccoleetBroccoleet
    Hyper Universe Rep: 150
    I played with both and now i play with a controller all the time.It's not a game where there is any real advantage using one or the other. The default controller setup is actualy pretty decent.
  • EarwormEarworm
    Hyper Universe Rep: 290
    finally someone showed up with the same annoying problem I have here, I was even thinking about doing a post about it. Any simple touch to the upper diagonal causes the hyper grip on the ladder, and this can be very annoying when you are with little life and is running away from the adversary, or even this chasing one about to kill him and he climbs the ladder and you try to swing it to fall, but your hyper climbs some stairs.but by what I see here this problem is exclusive of ps4 controls? so I'll try later using an xbox control to see if the problem continues.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    edited September 4, 2017
    Earworm wrote: »
    finally someone showed up with the same annoying problem I have here, I was even thinking about doing a post about it. Any simple touch to the upper diagonal causes the hyper grip on the ladder, and this can be very annoying when you are with little life and is running away from the adversary, or even this chasing one about to kill him and he climbs the ladder and you try to swing it to fall, but your hyper climbs some stairs.but by what I see here this problem is exclusive of ps4 controls? so I'll try later using an xbox control to see if the problem continues.

Well it has to do with how sensetive your deadzone setting is. Try going into your steam library and select hyper universe. Now on the right side where you can select "community hub", "discussions", "related groups" etc etc there should also be one called "controller configuration". I have no idea if you even have that for PS4 but you can look if it has.

If you have then go into advanced options and adjust the deadzone of the stick.

If you don't have that button enter big picture mode, press the gear for options and go to controller settings. I see you have a option there for PS4 configuration support. Try putting that on and see what happens.
  • BerkeBerke
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    Gamepad is the best