Special Message from our Developers

RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
Hyper Universe Rep: 2,270
Administrator
edited September 8, 2017 in Official News + Events
Hello Hypers,

We have a very special message from Eundo Chae, the CEO of CWAVESOFT. Please read what he said below:

Hello, this is Eundo Chae, CEO of CWAVESOFT, the developer of Hyper Universe.

I am very happy, and slightly nervous, to introduce myself to players in writing for the first time.

First of all, my team and I sincerely appreciate everyone who has been taking an interest in and enjoying Hyper Universe. We’ve worked diligently for the past four years to create an innovative, fun, deep, and enjoyable side-scrolling action MOBA.

We view Early Access as a vital step to make improvements before the game’s official launch, based on the valuable feedback of players experiencing Hyper Universe for the first time. We take your opinions seriously and strive to use your feedback to fine-tune Hyper Universe into a better game. We ask for your continued feedback.

While looking over your current feedback, we saw some debate on the subject of censorship and thought that providing our official stance as the developer would be the fastest and best way to communicate the circumstances of the situation to you, the players.

After we launched in Korea, we fiercely considered every aspect of the game—gameplay, accessibility, visibility, balance, stress factors, technical issues, etc.—to determine if we were lacking in any area based on feedback from players. This process was done through CWAVE’s internal discussions among various teams—Planning, Art, Programming, etc. The result is the current version of the build that you see.

Based on our internal review, we deemed that some of the artwork that is currently causing so much discussion was creating a hurdle for certain players, who find that type of artwork uncomfortable, stopping them from playing Hyper Universe for the first time. In other words, the art in question was harming the game’s accessibility. We decided in the middle of preparing for Early Access to change the direction of that art; the changes would also be applied to the Korean version of the game in a patch at the end of the current season, on 9/14, before the new season began. We are deeply sorry that we could not keep the content consistent, due to difficulties in managing the revisions for both the Early Access and Korean versions; we will work harder to keep the content consistent across regions in the future.

Hyper Universe is CWAVE’s pride, and the result of much thought and effort; we believe that many people will really enjoy playing the game, just like we do. Based on this belief, it has always been our goal to make the game as accessible as possible to anyone who loves action, side-scrolling, or MOBA games on any platform, so that they can enjoy our unique gameplay and also have fun watching other people play. To achieve this goal, we ask for your continued support, both by pointing out the parts of the game you really enjoy and by letting us know of any areas where you encounter inconveniences or see issues.

With our mission and pride as a professional game developer, we will do our very best to provide joy, fun, innovation, and excitement.

Sincerely,

Eundo Chae

[Original Message]

안녕하세요, 하이퍼유니버스 개발사 CWAVESOFT의 대표 채은도 입니다.
처음으로 유저분들께 글로 인사드리게 되어 굉장히 반갑고 약간은 긴장됩니다.

먼저 하이퍼유니버스에 관심을 가지고 재미있게 즐기시는 유저분들께 진심으로 감사드립니다. CWAVE는 새롭고 재미있고 깊은 게임성이 있는 횡스크롤 액션 MOBA를 만들기 위해 4년 이상의 기간 동안 열심히 하이퍼유니버스를 개발하고 있습니다.

이번 얼리엑세스는 공식 출시 전에 유저분들의 소중한 피드백을 받아 개선작업을 거치기 위한 단계입니다. 소중한 의견에 대해 리뷰하면서 더 좋은 게임으로 발전하기 위해 고민하고, 게임에 반영하고자 노력하고 있으니 계속해서 좋은 의견 부탁드리겠습니다.

다만, 여러 의견 중을 확인하던 중에 많은 분들이 Censorship의 문제로 논란이 되는 것을 확인하였고, 이에 대해서는 개발사인 저희의 의견을 공식적으로 말씀 드리는 것이 유저분들과 소통하는 가장 빠르고 좋은 방법이라고 생각하였습니다.

한국 지역 출시 이후, 저희는 유저분들의 피드백을 바탕으로 게임성, 접근성, 가시성, 밸런스, 스트레스 요인, 기술적인 이슈 등 게임 전반에 걸쳐 조금이라도 모자란 부분은 없는지 치열하게 고민하였습니다. 이 과정은 기획팀, 아트팀, 프로그램팀 등 내부 직원들의 논의를 통해 이루어졌고, 이에 따른 결과물이 현재 버전의 빌드입니다.

또한 현재 논란이 되고 있는 일부 아트는 해당 아트를 불편하게 생각하시는 유저분들께는 처음으로 하이퍼유니버스를 플레이 하는데 하나의 장애물로 작용할 수 있고, 이는 게임의 접근성을 해칠 수 있는 요인이 될 수 있다고 판단하였습니다. 이러한 방향은 얼리억세스를 준비하는 과정에서 결정된 것으로 한국버전도 9월 14일로 시즌 종료 및 새로운 시즌에 맞추어서 패치로 적용되는 피쳐입니다. 얼리엑세스 버전과 한국 버전의 리비전 관리의 어려움으로 컨텐츠의 통일성을 유지하지 못한 점 정말 유감스럽고, 컨텐츠의 통일성 및 버전 관리에 대해 더 노력하도록 하겠습니다.

하이퍼유니버스는 CWAVE 의 자랑이자 고민과 노력의 결과물이고, 많은 분틀이 저희와 마찬가지로 정말 즐겁게 플레이해 주실 것으로 믿습니다. 이러한 믿음을 바탕으로 저희는 다양한 플랫폼에서 액션, 횡스크롤, MOBA 장르를 즐기는 유저분들이 저희만의 매력적인 게임 플레이를 즐기고, 다른 유저분들의 플레이를 보면서 또 다른 재미를 느낄수 있도록 하는 것을 목표로 삼고 있습니다.이를 위해서 좋은 방향에 대해서는 아낌없는 지지를, 불편하시거나 문제 있는 부분에 대해서는 따끔한 충고를 부탁드리겠습니다.

저희는 게임을 제작하는 전문개발사로서 사명감과 자존심을 가지고 유저분들에게 기쁨, 즐거움, 새로움과 짜릿함을 드리도록 최선을 다하겠습니다.

채은도 드림.

Comments

• TomatoTentacleTomatoTentacle
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    Is this the big "adressing this issue" announcement?

They have worked in the game for 4 years, the game has been out in Korea for over a year, yet they saw issue just right after Nexon America came into the picture?

This just reeks of PR damage control, and it's just evidence that it was Nexon America that pushed them to make the changes, them retrofitting the changes to their version does not make it suddenly all cool.

Anyway, this is the last from me, I'm out, good luck with your endeavor and wish CwaveSoft the best, I have nothing but respect for them, and nothing but contempt for Nexon America.
    QurosDarkside_Hero
  • RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
    Hyper Universe Rep: 2,270
    Administrator
    edited September 8, 2017

They have worked in the game for 4 years, the game has been out in Korea for over a year, yet they saw issue just right after Nexon America came into the picture?

This just reeks of PR damage control, and it's just evidence that it was Nexon America that pushed them to make the changes, them retrofitting the changes to their version does not make it suddenly all cool.

Anyway, this is the last from me, I'm out, good luck with your endeavor and wish CwaveSoft the best, I have nothing but respect for them, and nothing but contempt for Nexon America.

We can’t ignore the requirements to meet standards set by local governments and review boards. This is one of those hard calls we need to make when looking to launch the game worldwide.

We are sorry to see you go, Tomato, as you have been an active member of Hyper Universe, even making amazing art for our Summer fan art contest.
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect
    Hyper Universe Rep: 395
    So you finally confirmed that you just don't care about anyone in the anti-censorship side of the audience. I hope you also don't care about my business, my friends business or any anti-censorship person's money.
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect

We can’t ignore the requirements to meet standards set by local governments and review boards. This is one of those hard calls we need to make when looking to launch the game worldwide.

We are sorry to see you go, Tomato, as you have been an active member of Hyper Universe, even making amazing art for our Summer fan art contest.

What standards made by review boards, this is a flat out lie. There are many games with more objectionable content that get released, and the official statement doesn't even mention ratings boards and standards. It's one thing to show you don't care, it's another to lie to my face.
  • GabeSkywalkerGabeSkywalker
    Hyper Universe Rep: 635
    Well, just when the anti-censorship movement was kinda getting my hopes back up i see this:
    Based on our internal review, we deemed that some of the artwork that is currently causing so much discussion was creating a hurdle for certain players, who find that type of artwork uncomfortable, stopping them from playing Hyper Universe for the first time. In other words, the art in question was harming the game’s accessibility. We decided in the middle of preparing for Early Access to change the direction of that art; the changes would also be applied to the Korean version of the game in a patch at the end of the current season, on 9/14, before the new season began. We are deeply sorry that we could not keep the content consistent, due to difficulties in managing the revisions for both the Early Access and Korean versions; we will work harder to keep the content consistent across regions in the future.

Well, that's what the company is betting on, so have to accept it...
    Hyper Universe is CWAVE’s pride, and the result of much thought and effort; we believe that many people will really enjoy playing the game, just like we do. Based on this belief, it has always been our goal to make the game as accessible as possible to anyone who loves action, side-scrolling, or MOBA games on any platform, so that they can enjoy our unique gameplay and also have fun watching other people play. To achieve this goal, we ask for your continued support, both by pointing out the parts of the game you really enjoy and by letting us know of any areas where you encounter inconveniences or see issues.

With our mission and pride as a professional game developer, we will do our very best to provide joy, fun, innovation, and excitement.

I can't deny it, the game itself is interesting, the mechanics, everything is fun, no matter how disappointed i am, thats a fact, but also let's be straight with facts: I'm sorry to say this, but MOBA's are always just the same drill over and over, so the main selling point for them is usually skins, but also developers need to make some sort of incentive to make players come back, wanting more, enhance their skills, follow famous streamers to see either amazing plays or strategies to level up their gaming.... That is the hard part, trust me, i am an indie gamedev (but that's another story).

So having sait that, having a "repetitive" kind of play, and not being a pro-player who is into tournaments, my incentive to play this and spend money on this would have been skins (and how sexy characters are, specially Athena...) but now it's certain that that incentive will never come.

I was going to say something about other games (competition), companies, even players (at least let me say this... the majority of real gamer girls have admitted that they don't care about sexy female characters, AT ALL) but at this point is pointless.

I'll say this one more time, and for the last time (because after this, i'm gone):
    I enjoyed playing Alpha, i enjoyed playing Beta, i enjoyed playing the KR version a bit, it was really nice, but seeing this, there is just nothing more for me to stay, i wish you guys luck (But this time the players, not the game itself, in the end, they "listen to the community" but they do what they want after all), have fun, enjoy the game, make many friends.

So thanks everyone who was part of that part of my life, now i'll move on, keep working on my own development, university, and other stuff.

Peace.
    Quros
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 905
    I can't say I didn't try to fight the good fight, I cannot support this decision or this game. Good bye, I'm going to buy Nier: Automata now with the money I intended on spending on this game.
    I hope those who were in favour of the censorship supports this game to show their appreciation.
    Quros
  • squiddlydoosquiddlydoo
    Hyper Universe Rep: 425
    I'm very happy with this, actually. Making the game more accessible to a broader audience is, in my book, a very good thing. Characters are still sexy anyway and the gameplay hasn't changed and that's what really matter. If a small character breast reduction and some extremely minor and unimportant details like a small reduction a in women cleavage makes you think this game is ruined then perhaps you need to simply leave and go play something else.
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 535
    RIP Hyper Universe.
  • HowPlayGaemHowPlayGaem
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    Making the game more accessible to a broader audience is, in my book, a very good thing.
    Cool, you should tell that audience to turn the game on and play then, because they are noticeable absent.
    perhaps you need to simply leave and go play something else.
    That's the plan. Don't cry when there's nobody left.
    SereneThunderQurosDarkside_Hero
  • shadowjesusshadowjesus
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    You can go through my post history and see how much I've slammed people making a big deal over the censorship. I think it's a complete non-issue.

That said, how this issue was addressed is absolutely weak. It essentially states that the aim is to make sure "players" who didn't like the original artwork would want to play the game. Fact is, it's obvious the number of people outraged over the censorship far outweighs any people who took issue with the original artwork. If more of your current paying customer base is made up of people who don't want censorship, why would you want to appeal to the other crowd?

If you want to stick by your choice to censor it, that's fine, but you REALLY need to take a step back and look at all the angles because you kinda just took a dump all over everyone, not just people against the censorship. The game isn't free, the only players you can appeal to right now are early access adopters.
    Darkside_Hero
  • shadowjesusshadowjesus
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    I'm very happy with this, actually. Making the game more accessible to a broader audience is, in my book, a very good thing. Characters are still sexy anyway and the gameplay hasn't changed and that's what really matter. If a small character breast reduction and some extremely minor and unimportant details like a small reduction a in women cleavage makes you think this game is ruined then perhaps you need to simply leave and go play something else.

The GAME isn't more or less accessible now. The core mechanics are, as you pointed out, unchanged. It's just artwork. People aren't going to say to themselves "Oh, her are DD's now instead of G's! Better hop on board!" Making the game grow is important, and that's not gonna happen if they piss off too many of their paying customers.

All I know is, I tried to join a match today, and for the first time I sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Maybe it's anecdotal or coincidental but I imagine the never-ending queue time and the release of the statement go hand in hand.
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect

See it's comments like this that let people know you're not for the game, you're for censorship, you don't care about the health of the community, you only care that the right people are playing, which soon will be no one.
    SereneThunder
  • jobethjobeth
    Hyper Universe Rep: 390
    yooo guys, if korea, the original devs, are making the art changes as well, it's no longer censorship, they are simply changing and updating the art as most games do
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect
    jobeth wrote: »
    yooo guys, if korea, the original devs, are making the art changes as well, it's no longer censorship, they are simply changing and updating the art as most games do

That is not the case, it's just censorship across two regions.
    Quros
  • jobethjobeth

I respect your opinion, I just personally think this was one big silly mess
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect

That's not an opinion in this case, it's a literal fact that it's just censorship across two regions, also you do not respect my opinion, you in another thread were talking about how you wanted me to go away. That's not respecting someone's opinion.
  • jobethjobeth
    edited September 8, 2017

That's not an opinion in this case, it's a literal fact that it's just censorship across two regions, also you do not respect my opinion, you in another thread were talking about how you wanted me to go away. That's not respecting someone's opinion.

respecting your opinion and wanting you to leave are completely different things, I can respect your opinion from across the street, and it's not a fact, Korea IS updating the art, and I mostly want you to leave due to the negativity surrounding you, i'm not here to fight though, so have a good day, night, life, whatever
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect
    edited September 8, 2017

respecting your opinion and wanting you to leave are completely different things, I can respect your opinion from across the street, and it's not a fact, Korea IS updating the art, and I mostly want you to leave due to the negativity surrounding you, i'm not here to fight though, so have a good day, night, life, whatever

Again, you can't respect an opinion and try to run it of, and Korea updating the art doesn't change the fact that it's censorship at all, it just makes it multi-region censorship, if them changing the art made it not censorship then nothing could ever be censorship if it were changed in it's country of origin. You also can't really be respectful when you support and encourage others throwing insults as long as they share your opinion.
  • jobethjobeth

Again, you can't respect an opinion and try to run it of, and Korea updating the art doesn't change the fact that it's censorship at all, it just makes it multi-region censorship, if them changing the art made it not censorship then nothing could ever be censorship if it were changed in it's contry of origin.

well uh yeah that's kind of the point, the country of origin hardly ever censors something that was put out, and has been out for a substantial period of time, and to be fair I never expressed that I wanted you gone, that was an assumption you made, in the thread you are talking about I thought the "sign out guide" was rather funny, I however never expressed my desire to chase any one off, also no, I am not trying to chase your opinion off, free speech is a thing, I however am not ok with you expressing your opinion in a negative way, you can have a different opinion, you can have a "negative" or unpopular opinion, but it's all in how you present said opinion.
  • AbsudelVectAbsudelVect
    edited September 8, 2017

Again, you can't respect an opinion and try to run it of, and Korea updating the art doesn't change the fact that it's censorship at all, it just makes it multi-region censorship, if them changing the art made it not censorship then nothing could ever be censorship if it were changed in it's contry of origin.

well uh yeah that's kind of the point, the country of origin hardly ever censors something that was put out, and has been out for a substantial period of time, and to be fair I never expressed that I wanted you gone, that was an assumption you made, in the thread you are talking about I thought the "sign out guide" was rather funny, I however never expressed my desire to chase any one off, also no, I am not trying to chase your opinion off, free speech is a thing, I however am not ok with you expressing your opinion in a negative way, you can have a different opinion, you can have a "negative" or unpopular opinion, but it's all in how you present said opinion.

You very clearly support personal attacks coming from the side you agree with and chasing off others by condoning the actions of those that do. Also something can be censored if it's changed in it's home country, I don't know how that doesn't make sense. Something can't "no longer" be censorship, it's censorship when remasters of old game had to remove red crosses from health pickups (except they have a legit reason, the red cross has a trade mark to red crosses on white backgrounds now) and it's censorship when Korea changes the art now. Also saying "I can respect your opinion from across the street" doesn't help your case saying you're not trying to chase people off.