What happens to Hyper Universe after FTP launch...

Comments

• CypherousCypherous
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    SirObesity wrote: »
    Cypherous wrote: »
    Because cosmetics are the only way to make money

Now take a moment to think about what you just quoted...

With alot of people who aren't willing to shell out money due to the changes, the rest of you who remained better drop some big bucks to keep this game alive.

I'm still playing the game, but not spending any money on it. If you want me to buy something, you better put out a product that would make me want to buy it... It's as simple as that.

Well if big breasts are the only way you're going to buy something then i'm sure thats a missed sale they can live with, they have decided to tone down the oversexualisation of the female characters, if you absolutely HAVE to have physics defying breasts in your games then feel free to go and play the game in its original format because that is still an option, although as i said, very much a 1st world problem that doesn't need fixing
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    edited February 4
    That's what it boils down to right? Assumption that it's all about big breasts and physics right? Maybe, maybe not.

The cold hard fact is that not buying results in lost revenue. In case you haven't looked at the steam charts, the population trend is steadily going down. Business wise, that is a problem. Now if you don't do anything about it, you're going to have a dead game soon.

You can criticize consumers all you want, but ultimately in the end, they're the ones who decide whether or not your product continues to exist.

The power of free market baby!
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    edited February 4
    Also, this game could have had a significantly larger player base. Many issues including this one was poorly handled by Nexon, resulting in a weak launch. As you can tell from their recent action, they weeded out a lot of their workforce, including a lot of the ones working on HU.

Maybe the new employees will actually listen to their players for once and not push their agendas down the consumers' throats like vegans.
  • CypherousCypherous
    edited February 4
    SirObesity wrote: »
    That's what it boils down to right? Assumption that it's all about big breasts and physics right? Maybe, maybe not.

The cold hard fact is that not buying results in lost revenue. In case you haven't looked at the steam charts, the population trend is steadily going down. Business wise, that is a problem. Now if you don't do anything about it, you're going to have a dead game soon.

You can criticize consumers all you want, but ultimately in the end, they're the ones who decide whether or not your product continues to exist.

The power of free market baby!

"That's what it boils down to right? Assumption that it's all about big breasts and physics right? Maybe, maybe not."

Well the only censorship has been to reduce the size of the breasts and make the physics more realistic, so at this stage there complaint is literally that they made the boobs smaller, has anything else important been censored?

"In case you haven't looked at the steam charts, the population trend is steadily going down. "

As it is for pretty much ever MOBA that isn't smite, its not retaining players but its not because of the breasts, i've noticed issues with the game, the balance needs to be looked at and the major issue is that it follows the same business model league does, and considering games like league are where you're trying to pull players from they don't really want to change from a grindy game where they have content to a grindy game where they have to start again, i've always said that if a game truly wants to enter the MOBA market they need to follow the examples set by DOTA and not LoL by having all the characters unlocked from the word go, paragon did this and had it not screwed the pooch on balance it would have potentially done very well, these days nobody wants to grind for characters, its a business model that is no longer successful

The issue is, it doesn't make as much money up front so trying to sell that business model to shareholders when they see the likes of league making silly money is extremely difficult, valve could afford to literally bleed money with DOTA 2 until it found its footing, nexon is the kind of company that could also afford to take that risk but good luck getting the shareholders on board, but this is why these games fail, and the sooner companies realise this the sooner they can stop wasting great game concepts on failed projects, HU has potential but it does need to adapt to the current market

"You can criticize consumers all you want, but ultimately in the end, they're the ones who decide whether or not your product continues to exist."

Sure, but if you're going to not buy something then use the actual reason instead of bandwagoning on the "but its censored" rubbish

"The power of free market baby!"

See heres the thing, they aren't going to always listen to you when shareholders say otherwise, nexon can easily afford to just drop the game if its not making nay money and the only people that lose out are the players, sure the consumers have the power not to buy anything but all they do then is make the game seem like a financial black hole and it gets cancelled, might want to look at the bigger picture and realise that boycots over insignificant things don't actually get those things changed but instead damage the game

"Maybe the new employees will actually listen to their players for once and not push their agendas down the consumers' throats like vegans."

Protip, the employees have zero power, they are paid to do a job and nothing more, the people who make the choices are far above them and they have shareholders and investors telling them what to do, if a dev decides to try to defy the hand that feeds it they will soon find that the hand stops feeding

Think on that one for a while
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    edited February 4
    Right. Following the same formula of doing what they want, maybe Hyper Universe will be a smashing hit like MxM, Paragon and GitS. Because those have been largely successful... Oh wait.

Anyway, enough about that. so what's your take on HU's future?

My prediction, Nexon being Nexon will do the same thing to all other games that were under Nexon.
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    edited February 4
    And the best thing about business... You either adapt to your audience, or you get weeded out.

This game will be no exception to that rule.

The audience gave Nexon a solution, Nexon didn't take it. Then the audience left. If you want, those left can go ahead and pick up what was lost and try to keep that game up with their money by themselves.

edited. last part wasn't directed towards you personally, but those who are for the changes and displaying hostility towards those against it.
  • CypherousCypherous
    "Anyway, enough about that. so what's your take on HU's future?"

It "could" go either way, there need to be some changes made, as i said its unlikely that a grind based game will succeed in the current market, granted there aren't very many games like HU but that also goes against the game as it means there doesn't seem to be a massive demand for these types of games, it has people it will appeal to but that group is not that big, in its current state considering the decline of players you're talking a 50% drop in players in just the last 17 days which is not a very good sign, granted all games suffer from playerbase drops in the start but a drop this massive doesn't bode well, especially when its a free to play game, i don't have the data in front of me so i can't see what levels these accounts stopped playing but you can be sure its being looked at by nexon and i would imagine the accounts that dropped off were mostly low level accounts of people who just didn't end up liking the game as they thought it was going to be different than it was

6 months would be a very generous estimate at the current numbers, the main question is how much money are they willing to let this game lose before dropping it completely, they need to consider their options quickly if they actually plan on saving the game, personally i would start by making all the hypers free for a short period to see if that affects new player retention rates, just pick it and run it for a week or so alongside some random event so people don't get too surprised by it, see if that helps

The other downside is that very little in terms of mechanics is actually explained at all and the tooltips end up looking like an excel spreadsheet in the skill info window under game info, i mean hell, the game didn't even tell me about the reduced healing when hit by a turret or things like bleed affecting it, there is a lot the game could add under the info window for the game and this would also help new players who will have very little patience for a game they paid nothing for and have nothing to lose by just uninstalling it
  • SinfulCrowSinfulCrow
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    I don't mind the option of grinding for new Hypers, but they could easily do what most hero shooters do and have the option to buy all the current hypers + future hypers for a set price. Gets rid of the farming and allows for you to have everything, but unique items for the hypers. Which you can farm for, or once again have an option to buy a pack/set of them which has them all for a certain amount of hypers.

Naturally, new skins are always welcomed, but there should a certain % to obtain the shards even for the 'legendary' skins they have. Instead of only having to buy them, not that I'm against that.

Balancing will take time, not like they will change every hyper at once. Some need nerfs, others need a bit of buffing. As long as they see what the players are saying about certain hypers and make the changes, it could work out.

The tutorial could definitely be a bit more detailed. Having the tutorial split into a few sections, which each section having a reward at the end of completion is not bad. You'll be rewarded and learn more about the game at the same time.

Lastly, rewards for leveling up hypers. Titles, cubes, GP they need something or else it'll feel like why am I even leveling this hyper up?