What happens to Hyper Universe after FTP launch...

HegokenHegoken
Hyper Universe Rep: 905
in General Chat
As many of you know, whether they want to admit it or not, Hyper Universe's reputation is known and it's not good. Most of the talk regarding Hyper Universe is almost always about the censorship, and how Nexon NA is handled/handling their communications with their fans, which is also in negative light.

For months the player base has been plummeting, then rising for a bit when it became free, and then dropped back down again. There are about 15000 people on average who own the game. Many of which were early supporters during the closed beta testing, in which they got the game for free. There is an average of 25-55 players online in Hyper Universe on average, fluctuating depending on what time of day and what day of the week. THIS ALSO INCLUDES AFK PLAYERS. Not impressive.

As a result of so few players queue times for the games are very long to the point where people leave the game after trying it, resulting in THOUSANDS of returns of the game. They have yet to break the 15000 players for more than a month... Even when opportunities for the game to be acquired for free came up. The player activities would spike a little then drop back down...sometimes lower than what it was.

The loyalists to the game who support the game and Nexon NA as well as the staff of Nexon NA, still continue to say that the game is going to be a success. Anyone who dares say otherwise or share doubts or opinions on their Discord channel, particularly around the censorship, are immediately attacked on the channel and chased off the Discord for bringing up negative light about the game, whether it's true or not. I have for that purpose stayed away from the Discord myself to avoid the toxicity of the CURRENT community of Hyper Universe.

As many know the game is going free to play and everyone will have access to this game. But with all that was exposed and known about what Hyper Universe entails, will people even want to be part of it at this point?

What I see happening to Hyper Universe is no different than what happened in the past events for players to play the game for free. I think the player base will spike, maybe even breaking as high as 35000 players who own the game. Afterwards I see the game dropping back down to 25000 owners of the title. I believe the average about of players playing the game will be around as high as 500 players online on average, and then dropping down to about 250 players on average. That being said, not even half the playerbase is going to put any money into the game. So it still won't generate much of a profit.

The reputation of Hyper Universe, Nexon NA's treatment to its playerbase as well as the Hyper Universe community has done some very serious damage. It is not outrageous to say that Nexon NA's refusal to listen to its once supporting fans has doomed this game. I would be shocked if the game stuck around for more than a year and a half.

It's up to the small amount of players to put in as much money as possible to keep this game profitable and alive. To that end, I wish them luck.

This is only my guessing based on what I have seen from Hyper Universe. What do you all think?
  1. Is Hyper Universe going to survive?13 votes
    1. Yes
       62% (8 votes)
    2. No
       38% (5 votes)

Comments

• AIbedoAIbedo
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    I give the game 6 months.

I've said my piece before in another thread (but I'm going to rant again because I'm passionate about this and hope the game succeeds haha), but this game hasn't got long to live unless something drastic changes (which I don't see happening from Nexon, who have all but given up on the game). I have seen many games (some that have had even more hype then this game did) and their die hard fans claiming that going free 2 play or leaving beta and having a full release will be the magic bullet that the game needs to suddenly be successful. It doesn't work that way, sure it will band-aid the situation and give it a few weeks/months more of life , but it wont be sustainable. If it has no hype now, no reason to stay as it is, going free to play wont change this. We are losing players, not gaining them, which is a very poor sign (even as a pay to play game, you should still be gaining players, not losing them at the begining of the lifecycle no?)

Whats worse, the game has made some incredibly poor decisions, alienated and annoyed their core audience and gathered a lot of infamy turning potential players away from the game. People are purposely avoiding this game as a form of protest. There was absolutely no point in censoring the game (doesn't matter how little was changed, it was the fact that it was changed. Your audience wants less censorship not more.) and was only done because nexon got greedy and wanted to attract a different group (who were never going to play this game regardless). So Nexon got neither the so called pro-censorship group but also lost the actual audience that likes all the cool fanservice.

I have seen MUCH bigger games fall for ALOT less. I dont see much light at the end of the tunnel, especially in the very saturated and competitive MOBA market. The only way I can see this game maybe bouncing back is:

1. Remove all censorship, apologise for it and spread/advertise it around that its gone. Make it seem like the people have won against censorship, that they have converted the game. People will hopefully come to game to celebrate and support the decision and then hopefully they stay because the game is actually very good.

2. Go further, make more fan service characters (and skins). Cutting the BS, the games niche audience is one that likes the anime stuff. The big boob girls, the flat girls, the lolis, the cool monsters and samurais etc... Go hard on it, dont hold back and advertise it hard. You have to appeal to what the games niche audience wants. If people like what they see and works with their anime wants, then hopefully they will come and at least take a look. This game is never going to beat or contest the big mobas that have huge audiences, so you have to go in hard on the niche that you do have.

3. Create events around the game. Perhaps try to get a cross-over with another game and then cross advertise (add certain characters/costumes or just a general limited event to the game from another game). This game needs to be wider known so we have a higher potential audience. However the cross over game has to have a similar niche to this one. It may be difficult, but it would really help boost the numbers.

Hopefully this will at least keep the game at a stable level for near future so a longer term plan can be created. There might be more ways to help the game, but this is the only way I can see it MAYBE surviving. This game has such a negative image its going to be VERY hard to pull it out of the . But I hope it does, I love the game, but the biggest problem first is getting Nexon to care about the game and its ACTUAL audience. Lets hope that they do.
  • KafrielKafriel
    Hyper Universe Rep: 240
    From what I've experienced so far, the mods can be reached out and help whenever they are asked, the game at its core is a lot more fun and easy to get into than other MOBA and it has enough things to do - attendance GP will give players enough to be able to chase after their preferred loot, without having to wait over a year for it. The community - again, from my limited experience - is full of fun people to talk to and play with, with just a few users willing to spoil the mood.

For me, it's been the best two gaming months, even if I've recently stopped participating due to personal problems. As for the game itself...no, it won't survive, at least it won't reach Maplestory's 15+ years of running status, but I do expect it to pull through for 4-5 years; not because it's published by NEXON and their games are doomed, but because the gaming market is currently too volatile and that includes PC gaming as well.

Note: a game's death equals a server shutdown. Anything else is not the same, even if we end up with just 30 people using discord and playing matches daily.
  • AIbedoAIbedo
    Kafriel wrote: »
    From what I've experienced so far, the mods can be reached out and help whenever they are asked, the game at its core is a lot more fun and easy to get into than other MOBA and it has enough things to do - attendance GP will give players enough to be able to chase after their preferred loot, without having to wait over a year for it. The community - again, from my limited experience - is full of fun people to talk to and play with, with just a few users willing to spoil the mood.

For me, it's been the best two gaming months, even if I've recently stopped participating due to personal problems. As for the game itself...no, it won't survive, at least it won't reach Maplestory's 15+ years of running status, but I do expect it to pull through for 4-5 years; not because it's published by NEXON and their games are doomed, but because the gaming market is currently too volatile and that includes PC gaming as well.

Note: a game's death equals a server shutdown. Anything else is not the same, even if we end up with just 30 people using discord and playing matches daily.

Do you think Nexon would bother to keep its servers open for 30 people playing? Not even close worth the money for them. Its not like its open so people can make their own servers. Nexon is infamous for throwing away titles once they have milked them dry. A really good and recent example of them doing this is them shutting down Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - First Assault Online and that game has double to triple the amount of people playing the game daily compared to hyper universe (according to steam charts) at the time of its closure. That game went into Open Beta in July 2016. Yes that game was free to play, but do you think Hyper universe will reach even those numbers on a regular basis?

TL:DR What i am getting at is that Hyper Universe is going down that path exactly. The numbers are NOT sustainable for even months of gameplay and Nexon is famous for throwing them away and getting new ips (instead of fixing them) especially for a game that has caused them so much problems.

I hope you are right, that it has 4-5 years, but I would recommend changing that 4-5 months.
  • k4m6s21k4m6s21
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    edited January 8
    Maybe 2-3 months? if they fail to attract a sustainable number of players.

From the my experience, once a game fail to attract and to keep audiences(players) at the beginning, the game will have a very low chance to be successful. I played K.HU about 1 yr, right now I stopped to play due to toxic players,(the GM always failed to block the toxic players, who keep making new acc and doing same thing again again), and, K.HU is experiencing same as what other people say, not enough players(average 30~40 and peak 70(Fri,night)),no events, and no particular update.

During the past months, K.HU has been given a lot of supports/chances from Nexon;ex:funds to make cash events and advertisement.
    Yet, none of these events and advertisement could not attract audiences. Just, new players come and participate the events than leave and never come back. Continuously, the number of players went down and now, we do not see any hope; just wondering when it will shut down the server.

HU itself is really fun and easy and has potential. The reason why I said 2~3 month is that Nexon wont tolerate to keep HU server anymore . So, I believe this will be the last chance to attract audiences and to keep HU. I hope NA.HU to be successful.

ps: correct me if there is error.
    Hegoken
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 905
    k4m6s21 wrote: »

From the my experience, once a game fail to attract and to keep audiences(players) at the beginning, the game will have a very low chance to be successful. I played K.HU about 1 yr, right now I stopped to play due to toxic players,(the GM always failed to block the toxic players, who keep making new acc and doing same thing again again), and, K.HU is experiencing same as what other people say, not enough players(average 30~40 and peak 70(Fri,night)),no events, and no particular update.

During the past months, K.HU has been given a lot of supports/chances from Nexon;ex:funds to make cash events and advertisement.
    Yet, none of these events and advertisement could not attract audiences. Just, new players come and participate the events than leave and never come back. Continuously, the number of players went down and now, we do not see any hope; just wondering when it will shut down the server.

HU itself is really fun and easy and has potential. The reason why I said 2~3 month is that Nexon wont tolerate to keep HU server anymore . So, I believe this will be the last chance to attract audiences and to keep HU. I hope NA.HU to be successful.

I didn't know that Korea was also suffering from the same lack of population on their servers. Very interesting!

And I imagine the decline of population in Korea started after Nexon NA 'convinced' Nexon over in Korea to make certain changes to the games artstyle.
    It really makes me wonder what would happen if Nexon came out and said the following:

"Listen, we are so sorry! We screwed up! We had our own vision as to how people should enjoy the game that we neglected how the fans wanted to enjoy the game and what they wanted to see. We will now listen very carefully to our fans.
    One topic of huge discussion was the censorship of the game. We have decided to integrate the toggle systems to turn it on or off. We have also revamped the costume,emotes and etc. systems so they can be purchased easily for a relatively low price. etc. etc. etc.
    We will be more transparent, and not let our own desires disrupt our players enjoyment of this game to guarantee its longevity. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!"

It would not shock me if after a loud open message like this, that the players come back. Not as quickly as they left since some still feel burned, but I for one would give them a chance. I'd also convince my other 5 friends to give them a chance that also left the game. Then they'd probably get their friends back in the game.

• k4m6s21k4m6s21
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    edited January 11
    I forgot to mention some changes in K.HU.
    both, the game PD(director) and illustrator, were changed about 2 months ago, so I am not sure for censorship and some problems in NA HU.
    I do not know how the right of someone's piece works, and the both, new and pre-illustrator, have different drawing style which it seems difficult to re-draw.
    anyway, K.HU seems they do not care censorship anymore, and I have not seen a big boob lady illustration (they did not add sexy lady char but add cute char) except the picture that I post

https://facebook.com/HU.NEXON/videos/1366081743501651/

btw, Is it breaking the rule of forum, If I post some info from K.HU?

Importantly, the new director is fullfulling what he promises to players; for example: reducing average time of game, adding more contents, providing daily mission and etc etc. However, the development of game contents, system, char, skin and more is too slow to catch what players want.

ps: srry, I will add more info that come to mind.

• SelfRighteousSelfRighteous
    Hyper Universe Rep: 135
    edited January 18
    Hegoken wrote: »
    k4m6s21 wrote: »

I didn't know that Korea was also suffering from the same lack of population on their servers. Very interesting!

And I imagine the decline of population in Korea started after Nexon NA 'convinced' Nexon over in Korea to make certain changes to the games artstyle.
    It really makes me wonder what would happen if Nexon came out and said the following:

"Listen, we are so sorry! We screwed up! We had our own vision as to how people should enjoy the game that we neglected how the fans wanted to enjoy the game and what they wanted to see. We will now listen very carefully to our fans.
    One topic of huge discussion was the censorship of the game. We have decided to integrate the toggle systems to turn it on or off. We have also revamped the costume,emotes and etc. systems so they can be purchased easily for a relatively low price. etc. etc. etc.
    We will be more transparent, and not let our own desires disrupt our players enjoyment of this game to guarantee its longevity. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!"

It would not shock me if after a loud open message like this, that the players come back. Not as quickly as they left since some still feel burned, but I for one would give them a chance. I'd also convince my other 5 friends to give them a chance that also left the game. Then they'd probably get their friends back in the game.

Actually not quite, it didn't really affect the low population already. The main issue with KR Hyper Universe was the slow time on release (took about 1 year before ranked was released in KR Hyper Universe). After that some other concerns with promises and the direction of the game. What k4 wrote about the illustrator is true. The illustrator was changed over a controversy before NA Hyper Universe was even released. You could make an argument that Global HU (Na Nexon) before the game was even released in Alpha wanted censorship already, but failed to do so until beta/early access. Because I also played the Korean server I figured the art changes (Tatyana, Sapitelbub, Blue Rose, and Han's skin art also was changed in Korea of course not our version), were due to the new illustrator rather than censorship. Of course you can't argue about the cleavage size reductions and the physics changing in part to the illustrator change, but it's hard to say at this point.

The crux of the issue of KR Hyper Universe really is due to poor early management and they were really never able to recover from it unfortunately.

EDIT: Forgot to talk about the topic at hand.

It's hard to say if the game will survive, we will need to wait a little longer after release before making assumptions. The situation looks okay so far, the amount of users we have are good. The question is can we maintain this playerbase? This is really going to be up to nexon global and KR nexon to work together here and make Hyper Universe grow.
  • MGAMGA
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    edited January 18
    prolly the same end of MXM
  • Watz0Watz0
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    How they get so many view on youtube? Look here How they have 2 653 329 view now but only 15 comment and 41 like 32 dislike?Did they buy views? How is it possible?
  • PsychozizPsychoziz
    edited January 18
    The game is good in my opinion. I have played about 30 games and its rly fun nonstop action. The animations are good. It has some little lag spikes but its not that big of a deal. If they release ranked sooner I bet the playerbase will increase because its getting boring to play only normal matches. The challenge is missing.

P.S. Oh it has ranked my bad :D
  • NestinarNestinar
    Hyper Universe Rep: 200
    You are lucky that i am not a forum admin the ban hammer woud be in place...
    This negativism i guess it comes from the fact that it's not as slow and boring as the other same old same old moba's or cuz you cant learn to lose cuz this is not your tipical LOL kind of a game its diferent and requirs skills...
    You cant speak for all the people those are your views and only yours and i sopose you cant predict the future so why woud you post this :D
    Your sugjestions are nothing new there are people that are working on the event's and the other stuff...
    I guess that the troll army will get the ban anyway so whatever :)
  • AlexiusAlexius
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    Watz0 wrote: »
    How they get so many view on youtube? Look here How they have 2 653 329 view now but only 15 comment and 41 like 32 dislike?Did they buy views? How is it possible?

"Referer" pages who put the video with text to make public the game.
  • Watz0Watz0
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    Alexius wrote: »
    Watz0 wrote: »

"Referer" pages who put the video with text to make public the game.

What do u mean with ''Referer''? I dont understand what do u mean? xD
  • kaiser1onekaiser1one
    Hyper Universe Rep: 220
    The amount of users isn't an issue so much as making money is. At the moment, there's many who aren't going to buy any skins because of the art changes. If not enough people put $ into the game then you can eventually kiss it goodbye.