What caused the fall of Hyper Universe

Comments

• SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    edited March 1, 2018
    People can boycott for a reason as small as a key programmer being cockeyed and having buck teeth.

Also, if there is another product that fulfills the satisfaction of the player base where yours doesn't, it is natural that you will lose customers to that competitor.

#capitalism
  • UncensoredorBustUncensoredorBust
    Hyper Universe Rep: 140
    SirObesity wrote: »
    People can boycott for a reason as small as a key programmer being cockeyed and having buck teeth.

Also, if there is another product that fulfils the satisfaction of the player base where yours doesn't, it is natural that you will lose customers to that competitor.

#capitalism

Good to see that you acknowledge that censorship was the beginning of the end for HU
    TomekPL
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
    I think the number one thing is that people who found out about this game would take a look at it, and go "looks like an interesting game, looks fun and wow these female characters sure have some nice... assets." And then they go to the forums and see that there was a big "controversy" and "debacle" about the censoring of the female characters' artworks.

And they went "wait so... the female characters were even MORE busty? And jiggly? And revealing? And everyone quit because they made them less busty, jiggly, and revealing - bust still extremely busty, jiggly and revealing?"

You can see from the point of view I just presented, yes? It sounds silly and pathetic as all hell.

Now, I'm not discounting the experience of those who played from the start. They had what they paid for changed, and they're entitled to be upset. But you try to see things from those who joined later... the whole thing just looks embarrassing.

Personally, I still find this game incredibly fun, and am sinking more money into it to buy skins.

I see what you're saying but lets look at this at a more general standpoint. I will do it post changes to the game.

If a fan is to learn that the company will not cater to the demands of fans and instead scoffs at them and push things along, then even new players would hesitate to support such a game.

King's Raid did the opposite. I didn't hear about the game from trailers or anything. I heard about it from an article saying that there was a phone game the UNCENSORED the censorship they placed. This caught my attention, but I looked into WHY it was uncensored.
    The company admitted their faults and said that a lot of fans were not happy with the changes and reverted almost all of the changes BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO PLEASE THEIR FANS! Fans who pay the bills and support them

I immediately decided to try the game, and it turns out it's a real fun game! On top of it all, the company constantly gives to its playerbase! I don't hesitate to give it about $6 for a costume or two; or buying the $30 starting package and such.

You see, your mind is fixated on boobs, mine is fixated on catering to its fans. If they want boobs, give it to them! if they want more stages, give it to them. etc.

You can't please everybody, but you can definitely win people over like King's Raid did by listening to the fans. Adding the censorship toggle button would be ALL TOO EASY of a solution.

ShakrinaTomekPLUncensoredorBust
  • TomekPLTomekPL
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    Hegoken wrote: »
    I think the number one thing is that people who found out about this game would take a look at it, and go "looks like an interesting game, looks fun and wow these female characters sure have some nice... assets." And then they go to the forums and see that there was a big "controversy" and "debacle" about the censoring of the female characters' artworks.

And they went "wait so... the female characters were even MORE busty? And jiggly? And revealing? And everyone quit because they made them less busty, jiggly, and revealing - bust still extremely busty, jiggly and revealing?"

You can see from the point of view I just presented, yes? It sounds silly and pathetic as all hell.

Now, I'm not discounting the experience of those who played from the start. They had what they paid for changed, and they're entitled to be upset. But you try to see things from those who joined later... the whole thing just looks embarrassing.

Personally, I still find this game incredibly fun, and am sinking more money into it to buy skins.

I see what you're saying but lets look at this at a more general standpoint. I will do it post changes to the game.

If a fan is to learn that the company will not cater to the demands of fans and instead scoffs at them and push things along, then even new players would hesitate to support such a game.

King's Raid did the opposite. I didn't hear about the game from trailers or anything. I heard about it from an article saying that there was a phone game the UNCENSORED the censorship they placed. This caught my attention, but I looked into WHY it was uncensored.
    The company admitted their faults and said that a lot of fans were not happy with the changes and reverted almost all of the changes BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO PLEASE THEIR FANS! Fans who pay the bills and support them

I immediately decided to try the game, and it turns out it's a real fun game! On top of it all, the company constantly gives to its playerbase! I don't hesitate to give it about $6 for a costume or two; or buying the $30 starting package and such.

You see, your mind is fixated on boobs, mine is fixated on catering to its fans. If they want boobs, give it to them! if they want more stages, give it to them. etc.

You can't please everybody, but you can definitely win people over like King's Raid did by listening to the fans. Adding the censorship toggle button would be ALL TOO EASY of a solution.

True !!!
    UncensoredorBust
  • TomekPLTomekPL
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    I would be happy to play this game but there are very few people in the game... choosing a match is too long. The censorship has made a bad name for itself. maybe that's why nobody is playing it
  • FahrolFahrol
    Hyper Universe Rep: 115
    Hey there,
    first of all I REALY love this game. i played the game since early accsess and love to play PVP in generell.
    I play on the EU sever and can't rly play on the NA sever which is rly frustrating for me since over the course of last week the player base of EU disapeard almost completly. You don't find a regular match what so ever.
    Player in the offical chat's tell me to Que on the NA server which i did a few times.
    for me its horrible it feels like my hyper is wearing plumb shoes and gloves which makes queing NA a no go.
    but the thing that realy bugs me is this:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/923675201865625685/7F6AE4699A4AB7D73E1ADBE757043AE0DCF5F258/

not a single player here has a good latency
    which i didn't see in only one match btw
    its incomprehensible for me to understand why EU died in less than one week because almost all player went on the NA server to play with a bad latency
    WHY??
    thats a big problem at least for me idk how other EU player see this but i'm out now folks
    can't play EU since i don't get a match started.
    could play NA and be part of the reason why no EU player is allowed to have a good latency which frustrates me

i don't know how to solve this exept forcing everyone to que for there region which would make sense if there were enough player.
    TomekPL
  • ChristmasChanChristmasChan
    Hyper Universe Rep: 520
    edited March 25, 2018
    i tried to give the game a 2nd chance and was even willing to ignore the censorship. but i litterally cant get into a rank game. i waited nearly 2 hours to get into a rank game and nothing. came back and waited another 30 or 40 mins and got into one and loss. tried to get into another and i just said " it" after it was going on 20min que time.

i think im going to uninstall the game again. this is sad. the game itself is a good game, so its not the games fault at all. its the publishers. hell if this game wasnt so dead and had a healthy playerbase i was even willing to buy a few skins that i wanted, but no way in hell will i be spending money on this game anytime soon. i hate to say it but if something drastic doesnt change then this game will end up suffering the same fat as paragon in about a year or 2.

and at this point uncensoring the game wont change anything, its far too late for that. they need to do mass advertising on twitch or something. passed the steam trailer and the false advertisements on facebook that originally drew me into the game i have seen ZERO advertisements for this game. advertising is their biggest issue right now.

another thing to note is that there are no content creators for this game, another HUGE issue. trying to look up any kind of youtube guides or videos gets you nothing. there are some for a few characters, but not all of them. most are just zero commentary gameplay videos of people using default builds.
    TomekPL
  • NerphisNerphis
    Hyper Universe Rep: 210
    Does anybody know if the censorship was because of regulations or just a decision made by the developers?
  • HegokenHegoken
    edited March 29, 2018
    Nerphis wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the censorship was because of regulations or just a decision made by the developers?

The Censorship was a decision that was made by the company during beta testing phase. They claimed that at one of the conventions when they were presenting the game a few parents went up to them and claimed that there was so much boobs based on the art around their booth. They made some remarks to the reps at the booth and then they brought it up in a meeting.

They decided to go the censorship route and tone down the sex appeal because it was 'TOO SEXY.' They announce they were going to start censoring the art and made a statement regarding the censorship. The fans were not happy from this and then they said "Fine! Censor it! We'll just go and play on the uncensored KOREAN Servers!"

Upon hearing that Nexon NA then decided to quickly quell that possible outcome and strong-armed the Korean Nexon into adopting their censorship. You have to remember that the Americans are the ones holding the money, and if the Koreans want some of that pie, they better piss on queue and do what their told. They even got the man who's head of the company to write a letter saying that this is the decision for the better.

I don't know the exact details behind the scenes as I stay away from the Discord, but it's clear that they do not intend to cater to their fans. They are going to watch the game's playerbase dwindle little by little. They are simply hoping of squeezing any little cash they can out of the game's players at their point. Then when they wrung the players dry, they will close the game down like the other titles.
    UncensoredorBust
  • uninstallsteamuninstallsteam
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    http://steamcharts.com/app/591530#All
    "fall of hyper universe" the game just grew two months ago and has never had a giant ton of players, no clue what you guys are trying to say.
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    http://steamcharts.com/app/591530#All
    "fall of hyper universe" the game just grew two months ago and has never had a giant ton of players, no clue what you guys are trying to say.

Maybe you should take a look at the link you just posted and see what exactly happened there..
  • QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    edited April 1, 2018
    I would assume that the Steam chart only counts the players who play through Steam. I don't, as I see no reason to have to go through an extra step to log in, nor to let some third party that has nothing to do with developing or hosting the game siphon off a fraction of whatever I pay.
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Explain the long queues then.
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    Just for the fun :
    ZQrSRjv.jpg
    Dunno if Nexon know League of Legend, a "little" Moba.
    Censorship killed HU, deal with it ^^v
    UncensoredorBust
  • SelerinaSelerina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    edited April 4, 2018
    Nothing to do here so....... Hello Syndra :3

https://imgur.com/a/VUbnX
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    Selerina wrote: »
    Nothing to do here so....... Hello Syndra :3

https://imgur.com/a/VUbnX

It was for laught about the false reason from Nexon for censor splash art. They said it's for touch large audience... Like LoL dont touch large audience with fulll of lewd splash art xD
  • VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    I dunno about the game "falling." It had as few people in Alpha and Closed Beta as it does today (at least for NA), and the complaints about the hypersexualized models started right from Alpha., right here in the tester community, because it was patently ridiculuous. Pretty sure the Steam players didn't get to see the original models, tho I could be wrong. Either way, Steam players are spoiled for choice in games and usually belong to the "PC Master Race," so it seems more likely to me they just migrated to games that "exercised" their hardware harder than HU does. But really, there could be many reasons HU simply didn't hold their attention for long, not just that they "unlewded" the toons. Such a claim speaks more about the person making it than the direction the game took.
  • HegokenHegoken
    I dunno about the game "falling." It had as few people in Alpha and Closed Beta as it does today (at least for NA), and the complaints about the hypersexualized models started right from Alpha., right here in the tester community, because it was patently ridiculuous. Pretty sure the Steam players didn't get to see the original models, tho I could be wrong. Either way, Steam players are spoiled for choice in games and usually belong to the "PC Master Race," so it seems more likely to me they just migrated to games that "exercised" their hardware harder than HU does. But really, there could be many reasons HU simply didn't hold their attention for long, not just that they "unlewded" the toons. Such a claim speaks more about the person making it than the direction the game took.

There were 500ish players during CLOSED beta. Once the censorship rolled out the fanbase spoke out against the notion and began voicing their concerns. Nexon NA scoffed at them and ignored them utterly, then doubled down on NOT LISTENING to its fanbase.
    It was after that point the fans began dispersing. I myself got 5 people into the game, one of the five was about to get 3 others into the game, but when the censorship rolled out, they all left as I did.
    It wasn't so much for the censorship as opposed to the fact that the company didn't listen to the fans. They just wanted to push their agenda and do what they wanted to do. For that reason my friends and I had no intention of supporting a company that doesn't cater to its fans.

Now there's even less active player than it did during the closed beta. Pretty sad really. What's even more sad is that they don't even try to address it even if the censorship and toggle systems etc. are still being mentioned on forums today.

They have no intention of listening to the players they shunned then, and they still have no intention of listening to them now.
    UncensoredorBust
  • ChristmasChanChristmasChan
    Hyper Universe Rep: 520
    Hegoken wrote: »

It wasn't so much for the censorship as opposed to the fact that the company didn't listen to the fans. They just wanted to push their agenda and do what they wanted to do. For that reason my friends and I had no intention of supporting a company that doesn't cater to its fans.

i want to highlight this point further. censorship itself wasnt the issue at all, atleast not for me. it was the fact that they catered to a minority when the VAST MAJORITY did not like the change. and guess what happened? the VAST MAJORITY left the game. and its not like it was a big change either. some censorships were just 20% reduction in breast size? yes some censorship more harsh than others, but if the majority did not want that 20% breast size reduction then why not listen? thats the point here, listen to the damn MAJORITY not the vocal MINORITY. the people that were pro censorship arnt even playing this game, surprise surprise. the only ones who are here are the ones who actually enjoy the gameplay, but with long que times as long as 40 mins those guys will leave soon enough aswell.
  • GabeSkywalkerGabeSkywalker
    Hyper Universe Rep: 765
    edited April 11, 2018
    Here i am... a little bit over 6 months after the last time i came into the forums, first post i see... well i think it was obvious.

So here are "my two cents" on the topic (also i felt inspired):

First let's start with a little bit of statistics: i've been following Steam Charts, and the numbers aren't really good, i know, it only shows the statistics of people on Steam (this has potential to make a new topic so i will not go in-depth, let's just say that represents half of the real statistics): http://steamcharts.com/app/591530.
    So long story short, game had it's MAX ACTIVE PLAYERS PEAK on Jan 17th just to start falling each month...

So active-player-wise it's in no good standing

Now, queue-times aren't good either, i saw a Video from about September of a guy that took a 90 min queue time for a match, i think there've been patches to address this situation (as far as i read, on regular matches they partner you with bots to fill your group), but still can see that queue times on Ranked aren't any good (people report 20-30 min queue times on Ranked)... some may say "well it's ranked, why bother if you can still play the game?" (or maybe it's just my imagination), but let's face it, most people getting into a game, they look forward to get into ranked and get a decent position, hopefully rewards (there will always be "treasure hunters" that hope to get top-rank into a game that is new to the scene, hoping that it makes it way into e-sports AND they'll be at the pinnacle, so there could be some good rewards for that).

So yeah, queue-times don't help either, also note this:
    Bad queue times can be a REAL, POTENTIAL AND DANGEROUS reason for:
    a) losing players
    b) not getting new players
    So i suggest NEXON, community managers and these people put an eye on this, as this can be the REAL threat that could literally kill the game
    (kill like: Nexon having to close the servers forever)

Next up is financially speaking: anyone out there knows this (specially game devs, and people to get into the game dev scene): to mantain a game costs money; having dedicated servers costs a good amount of money; so there is this need to get money for the game to be profitable (otherwise there would be no reason why a big company would make a game) so following what i said on last point: losing players and not getting new players is a threat that could not just kill the game, but also cost the producers a lot of money.

7 months ago i made a thread asking the community managers if there were any plans to spread the word about the game, or anything they were working in to avoid game being empty or emptying up (thus avoiding the long queue times and creating a "domino effect"), nobody said anything, the community managers didn't appear.... and in fact my thread kinda turned into this one, with some interesting points by more level-headed people

The following two points are a bit more subjective, but i think they aren't of much help either, and i'll be brief:

1) MOBA's aren't really the top of the food chain of videogames anymore: Battle Royales are nowadays, a big deal of gaming youtubers are playing Fortnite (i hate it, even though i love Epic games and declare myself their fanboy because of Unreal Engine :D), easily 15 out of 20 gaming videos are Fortnite, also i haven't mentioned twitch...

2) Talking about social media, YouTube isn't helping much: when you see this:

you know something is wrong and something has to change.... i know it is more subjective, BUT, given the amount of views it has, it can be exponentially dangerous to potential player-base (hey i want to try out this game... oh forget it, "nobody is playing it" said the youtube dude : multiply this for at least the amount of views *.1)

So btw, i'm completely on the same train as Hegoken, it's not much about the boobs (even though i was really pissed by the censorship itself) but more about them listening to the community, i said "ok, let's give this game another try" just to find out not much people are playing, and if i'm going to play solo, i prefer to go and play some single players RPGs (like Final Fantasy XV, Dark Souls, Kingdom Hearts...)
    DialXi