What caused the fall of Hyper Universe

Comments

• ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    It's fun to watch all these videos speaking about HU , ALL of them can be summary in one phrase : "An epic game killed by Nexon censorship".
    The only way to save the game, is in turn back on censorship, do publicity with the sexiests characters, and selling LEWD skins in cashshop.
    You can check on every games where u can buy skins, the most sold are allways the most lewds.
    I play Tera, in AH all costumes not sexy are all sold under 50k, while the triangle bikini for castanic can up to the million. I also can remember the "raid" done on cashshop when succubus skins for elins was out.

On B&S u free to create uggly character, with no boobs, big ass and fat AF... Strangely u cross no one in game, most of times boobs are at max size avaible xD

Come one ! Wake up Nexon ! We wait your apologies and your turn back.
  • HakureiValkyrieHakureiValkyrie
    Hyper Universe Rep: 505
    Member, Forum Moderator
    edited April 12, 2018
    I think its a little unfair that allot of the "anti-censorship" people seem to disregard the things they (Nexon) did listen to. The last patch notes are a nice example of this too.

Yes, i also did not like the art-changes, think it had a sizeable negative impact and think they shouldn't have done it, but it is not the only cause why this game has a hard time to retain a player base.

Issues i have seen mentioned:
    - The lack of big marketing pushes
    - It being a niche sidescroller MOBA
    - It being another MOBA (look at all the closed/failed MOBA titles in 2017-2018)
    - People simply not liking the way this game works (heavy CC locking comps, certain Hypers being unbalanced, (keyboard) controls are awkward, escaping is 'easy' if the other team does not have enough cc to hold you in one place etc..)
    - Server lag
    - The game simply not starting, crashing mid-way, server errors etc...
    - "Stacking"/ teaming up in regulars as a 3 or 4 man team and then stomping a random group

• ShakrinaShakrina
    I think its a little unfair that allot of the "anti-censorship" people seem to disregard the things they (Nexon) did listen to. The last patch notes are a nice example of this too.

Yes, i also did not like the art-changes, think it had a sizeable negative impact and think they shouldn't have done it, but it is not the only cause why this game has a hard time to retain a player base.

- It being another MOBA (look at all the closed/failed MOBA titles in 2017-2018)
    - People simply not liking the way this game works (heavy CC locking comps, certain Hypers being unbalanced, (keyboard) controls are awkward, escaping is 'easy' if the other team does not have enough cc to hold you in one place etc..)
    - Server lag
    - "Stacking"/ teaming up in regulars as a 3 or 4 man team and then stomping a random group

Censoreship is the main cause of HU dying, even as niche moba HU got a good hype... Even at closed beta players start to leave cause of it. And the shitstorm about it started. HU got a lot of publicity, go count all videos over 100k views for speak about this epic bullshit from Nexon to censor game and ignore players requests.
    Players can understand some bugs, balance pb and lags/crash in new game, the match making pb is just due to lake of players...
    But players cant understand Nexon said to his customers : "FU we do what we have planed and we dont care of what you want."

Now Nexon can spend millions in publicity, it's uselss, nobody want play a game where devs dont care of players.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
    edited April 12, 2018

- Server lag

I think the game would have progress and received more and better criticism if the players that were into the game during the beta weren't driven off. There would have been more players passionate about it giving opinions and giving input as to how to improve the game. They would have received the input sooner, and more often, and by more players.

But since the true fans that supported the game before it was even free were driven off, there was no input to be had, because there is little point in trying to support a company that doesn't want to cater to fans. As mentioned before, it's a trickle effect, and now it's all coming apart. The number show us. As of this post, less than 190 players active in the game in the last 24 hours. And that's including AFKs.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    If a few skins being made slightly more modest has had a significant effect on the playerbase, the means was not people seeing censorship, getting upset, and leaving. The means is a handful of people who don't even like the game and want to destroy it going around constantly decrying the game as censored, trying to scare off any new potential new players who might like the game. If not for that, then the overwhelming majority of current or potential players would never even know that there had been modifications to a handful of skins. No one is going to look at the models for Camilla, Celine, Ignitia, Michelle, and Tatyana as they are now and think "wow, that looks really censored".

I don't think that even that has all that big of an effect either, as people who aren't completely new to online gaming know that pretty much every game out there has its haters. The only exceptions are the games too obscure for anyone to care about enough to hate them.

The real, underlying problem is that the matchmaking issue means that there's a sort of momentum in the playerbase size. A game with 10,000 people online and actively playing it can provide balanced matches for everyone very quickly. A game with a small playerbase has a much, much harder time with matchmaking, leading to some combination of unbalanced matches and long waiting times. There aren't enough gamers to go around for most of the games that want a large playerbase to have one.

So how do you get a large playerbase in the first place? That's intrinsically hard, as most games can't. This game never did, and most games never do. The size of the critical mass of players needed for a good player experience can vary a lot with game mechanics, so a given level of people online concurrently is plenty to make some games work well, but "game isn't playable" levels of badness for some others.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Quizzical wrote: »
    If a few skins being made slightly more modest has had a significant effect on the playerbase, the means was not people seeing censorship, getting upset, and leaving. The means is a handful of people who don't even like the game and want to destroy it going around constantly decrying the game as censored, trying to scare off any new potential new players who might like the game. If not for that, then the overwhelming majority of current or potential players would never even know that there had been modifications to a handful of skins. No one is going to look at the models for Camilla, Celine, Ignitia, Michelle, and Tatyana as they are now and think "wow, that looks really censored".

I don't think that even that has all that big of an effect either, as people who aren't completely new to online gaming know that pretty much every game out there has its haters. The only exceptions are the games too obscure for anyone to care about enough to hate them.

The real, underlying problem is that the matchmaking issue means that there's a sort of momentum in the playerbase size. A game with 10,000 people online and actively playing it can provide balanced matches for everyone very quickly. A game with a small playerbase has a much, much harder time with matchmaking, leading to some combination of unbalanced matches and long waiting times. There aren't enough gamers to go around for most of the games that want a large playerbase to have one.

So how do you get a large playerbase in the first place? That's intrinsically hard, as most games can't. This game never did, and most games never do. The size of the critical mass of players needed for a good player experience can vary a lot with game mechanics, so a given level of people online concurrently is plenty to make some games work well, but "game isn't playable" levels of badness for some others.

I thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    It's good to have a good amount of civilized people to discuss the matter.

I think you underestimate the beta players back in the day. I am a single player who heard of this game. Just me. From me alone, I recruited my brother, and two of my best friends.
    ONE of those friends recruited two more, and so on it goes. From a single person came at least five others. More players spread from positive word of mouth speaking about good fun facts about the game. FACTS being the key word.
    When the facts aren't positive, it does the opposite. When the Nexon refused the player base's opinion and wants, we all left. From 6 players to 0. This is a VERY small example, but the numbers of actual players.

Why do I bring up number with you? Because that's what would definitely deal with the queue times and the balancing of teams online. Right now, the game has under 200 players active (including AFKers). When there was 500 players it would take me 2-8mins to queue into a game during the closed beta. At one point in time the game had 2600 active players (including AFkers). But then they read about the censorship and how Nexon has a bad reputation.

I myself am hoping either through Nexon or another company that the game returns has a change of heart and starts listening to the players. The fact that the discussion of censorship is still brought up after about 6 months from many people really tells you something.

• QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    Hegoken wrote: »
    I myself am hoping either through Nexon or another company that the game returns has a change of heart and starts listening to the players. The fact that the discussion of censorship is still brought up after about 6 months from many people really tells you something.

By "listening to the players" you mean "listening to the players who happen to agree with your personal opinion". In most cases, "listening to the players" means picking up a lot of contradictory opinions. When player feedback is overwhelmingly in one direction and not of the "please make less money" variety, they do listen. See, for example, how this week's patch removed the ability of controllers to make the mouse pointer disappear.

That there is still a fuss about changes made to models long before the game released does tell you something. Or at least it tells me something, but not what you seem to think it should. It tells me:

1) There are people who think that the most important thing in a game is that a handful of characters show very slightly more skin.
    2) The company isn't quick to ban bitter ex-players who hate the game and want to destroy it.
  • RythemeRytheme

your right. As alpha player myself the game never had a big player-base and the wait times were so long that even I took a long break waiting for bigger PB cause wait times were up to a hour . The other main issue was character balance , like Jennifer, kurenai and the worst ryta who basically dominated matches and were must haves. The game always had sort of meta which is hard to go around some people didn't understand or like that . The wai

The censorship issue pretty stupid and petty reason not to play the game because I come here for gameplay and something fast pace. I was hoping this game reached Esports status cause it pretty chaotic and entertaining but now it looks like the only chance they have is giving in.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hegoken wrote: »

By "listening to the players" you mean "listening to the players who happen to agree with your personal opinion". In most cases, "listening to the players" means picking up a lot of contradictory opinions. When player feedback is overwhelmingly in one direction and not of the "please make less money" variety, they do listen. See, for example, how this week's patch removed the ability of controllers to make the mouse pointer disappear.

That there is still a fuss about changes made to models long before the game released does tell you something. Or at least it tells me something, but not what you seem to think it should. It tells me:

1) There are people who think that the most important thing in a game is that a handful of characters show very slightly more skin.
    2) The company isn't quick to ban bitter ex-players who hate the game and want to destroy it.

Then you are misinterpreting what I was saying.

I was one of the original posters who created a forum thread called "The power of choice" pretty much encouraging the Censorship toggle button so people could have a choice of showing more or less skin. I'm about GIVING PLAYERS A CHOICE. To not dictate what they should be exposed to or not.

If the game simply added a little button in the option menu to toggle the censorship, the huge division and mass amount of leavers would have been averted. Then there would be more players, causing less stacked teams driving the remaining casuals away. Everyone would be happy.

You're 2) " ban bitter ex-players who hate the game and want to destroy it" shows that you're clearly not happy about those vocal individuals like myself showing displeasure of the situation. But you also imply I as well as other vocal players want to destroy it, which is contradicting what I'm trying to do by being vocal.

This thread is about how Hyper Universe wound up here. This is to help Nexon NA see their missteps in hopes of them putting in some effort of correcting mistakes. If I simply wanted Hyper Universe to crash and burn, I really don't need to do anything, do I? It's already happening.
    Shakrina
  • RiktusRiktus
    Hyper Universe Rep: 5
    I really hope Nexon manages to make this game more popular or at least with bigger playerbase than it currently has, it's such a shame to see a good game dying specially when its so fun :/
    DialXi
  • DialXiDialXi
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    Riktus wrote: »
    I really hope Nexon manages to make this game more popular or at least with bigger playerbase than it currently has, it's such a shame to see a good game dying specially when its so fun :/
    Same, this is the best game I've played in long time, i just want to keep playing i don't care about censorship or anything, i love playing this game and is painful to see it slowly dying
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    DialXi wrote: »
    Riktus wrote: »
    Same, this is the best game I've played in long time, i just want to keep playing i don't care about censorship or anything, i love playing this game and is painful to see it slowly dying

The censorship is the main probleme. Like i allready said in an old post, even if ihate censor, i can deal with it when its done properly. I allways use the example of Tera, they said we censor popori female and rename them elins cause we dont agree with loli in panties and zoophila... But they said this BEFORE release the beta. And anyway 50% of Tera players play elins and 90% of them use KR textures.
    (i spend over 1500€ in tera)
    Nexon censored game DURING beta and the pb was not the censor herself but how react Nexon : With no care about what players wants. And they have lie all time for justifie it.
    Even for korean voice they said us : FU.. I lie they just said nothing (but eveyone know they think it).
    If nexon want save HU there is only 2 ways :
    1) Sell it to an other compagnie (who care of players).
    2) Apologies about lies and turn back on censhoreship.

Seriously i planned to buy around 10 skins during alpha, now i cant, cause first the game will shut down soon, wont waste 100€+ and cant support a compagnie who dont care of me.
    DialXi
  • GabeSkywalkerGabeSkywalker
    Hyper Universe Rep: 765
    Another reason for me to avoid this game: http://hu.nexon.com/Info/HyperInfo_Detail/40 <== THIS GUY, is a lame captain america wannabe in the american version.....
    they literally killed one of my favourite characters from the original version.... well done, localization team is GARBAGE
    Shakrina
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Another reason for me to avoid this game: http://hu.nexon.com/Info/HyperInfo_Detail/40 <== THIS GUY, is a lame captain america wannabe in the american version.....
    they literally killed one of my favourite characters from the original version.... well done, localization team is GARBAGE

At last we got a "free" skin xD
    Member, Forum Moderator
    edited April 19, 2018

They had to change Red's default skin to one of his skins to bring him over to the west (global HU), because of copyright reasons.
    If someone is to blame for this, its the IP holder of the Power Rangers.
  • TenlogosTenlogos
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    Meh, first time visiting the forum. I was expecting a thread like this to be on top because HU is on the edge of "dying". It never fell by the way because it never had a moment where it truly shined (Except maybe for release day where you could play any mode on any server with low que-times). Aside from that HU always has been a "low-burner" from my point of view.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good game with great potential but so was Paragon. Or Dawngate. If the devs don't use that potential but limit it instead it's to no surprise that HU is in that state of "decay" right now. I mean.. let's think about it alittle bit:

- the MOBA market is the hardest market to take roots in; you're up against THE biggest game o the internet (LoL) and a couple of other good running competitors (SMITE, DotA 2, to an extend Awesomenauts), you don't just develop a game and throw it out there and hoping everything works out well. You gotta be dedicated as F*CK to make it work
    - there was little to no advertisement, in fact I myself only stumbled over that game by accident
    - the censorship situation itself left people with worry and doubts towards the devs and how they'd handle things in the future
    - too many game-modes for a too small of a playerbase. Right now people are que'ing in for either AI, Regular or "Rankeds" in either NA or EU, with EU being completely dead because of the lack of players. You're damn lucky if you get into a game within 20 minutes. Should've made AI-mode less lucrative and disabled (or never introduced in the first place) 'Ranked'-mode until the playerbase becomes more stable.

Im pretty sure any of us can add one or two more things to the list, either way there are things to do and the companies (not only Nexon) need to -learn- how important it is to take player-feedback into account. It's fine to make mistakes and experiement a little; if the changes ain't well received there's always the option to revert them and/or improve them. O course it's a shitton of work but that's no excuse. It's what you guys do for a living and you better come up with a good plan and strategy before throwing games on the market without the intention to fully back up your game.
    A couple of mom's complained about characters being jiggly, sexy and busty? Yea, so what? It's like saying "Game focuses only on big boobs. It's obvious they try to sell sex." <-- that's retarded. Literally. Ever thought about the fact that there are women outside that actually have this kind of bust and they get denied/ shunned by people just because they don't like big boobs or sexy dressed women? It simply is no valid arguement (it's like saying I don't like rap-music; or I don't like to eat mushrooms); if people think something is too sexualized then so be it. Nobody forces them to watch or play it. Move along! If people would suddenly complain that there are too many MOBA-elements in the game and they'd rather have more car-racing attributes in HU would you start turning all heroes into cars as well? Simply don't. Listen to feedback on how to improve on game-mechanics. Things that aren't as subjective and can actually help the game.

It'd also be nice if the devs (or someone who is connected with the team in some way) would talk to the community. Actively. Let the people know what's going in, be the bridge that connects the people behind a game with the people who love the work they're doing. Alot of companies barely care about communication with the people they're trying to sell their game to. A few mods in the forums, a couple of GMs on twitch playing a game and they think the rest will manage itself.
    Online games ain't a new thing; and someone with experience only needs to take a look back to see what other companies did wrong and should try to avoid to make the same mistakes.

Anyways, rant over. I still hope that HU recovers somehow and manages to lure a bunch of people to play that game. I actually enjoy creating builds for characters and their items.

ShakrinaGabeSkywalker
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Tenlogos wrote: »
    Meh, first time visiting the forum. I was expecting a thread like this to be on top because HU is on the edge of "dying". It never fell by the way because it never had a moment where it truly shined (Except maybe for release day where you could play any mode on any server with low que-times). Aside from that HU always has been a "low-burner" from my point of view.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good game with great potential but so was Paragon. Or Dawngate. If the devs don't use that potential but limit it instead it's to no surprise that HU is in that state of "decay" right now. I mean.. let's think about it alittle bit:

- the MOBA market is the hardest market to take roots in; you're up against THE biggest game o the internet (LoL) and a couple of other good running competitors (SMITE, DotA 2, to an extend Awesomenauts), you don't just develop a game and throw it out there and hoping everything works out well. You gotta be dedicated as F*CK to make it work
    - there was little to no advertisement, in fact I myself only stumbled over that game by accident
    - the censorship situation itself left people with worry and doubts towards the devs and how they'd handle things in the future
    - too many game-modes for a too small of a playerbase. Right now people are que'ing in for either AI, Regular or "Rankeds" in either NA or EU, with EU being completely dead because of the lack of players. You're damn lucky if you get into a game within 20 minutes. Should've made AI-mode less lucrative and disabled (or never introduced in the first place) 'Ranked'-mode until the playerbase becomes more stable.

Im pretty sure any of us can add one or two more things to the list, either way there are things to do and the companies (not only Nexon) need to -learn- how important it is to take player-feedback into account. It's fine to make mistakes and experiement a little; if the changes ain't well received there's always the option to revert them and/or improve them. O course it's a shitton of work but that's no excuse. It's what you guys do for a living and you better come up with a good plan and strategy before throwing games on the market without the intention to fully back up your game.
    A couple of mom's complained about characters being jiggly, sexy and busty? Yea, so what? It's like saying "Game focuses only on big boobs. It's obvious they try to sell sex." <-- that's retarded. Literally. Ever thought about the fact that there are women outside that actually have this kind of bust and they get denied/ shunned by people just because they don't like big boobs or sexy dressed women? It simply is no valid arguement (it's like saying I don't like rap-music; or I don't like to eat mushrooms); if people think something is too sexualized then so be it. Nobody forces them to watch or play it. Move along! If people would suddenly complain that there are too many MOBA-elements in the game and they'd rather have more car-racing attributes in HU would you start turning all heroes into cars as well? Simply don't. Listen to feedback on how to improve on game-mechanics. Things that aren't as subjective and can actually help the game.

It'd also be nice if the devs (or someone who is connected with the team in some way) would talk to the community. Actively. Let the people know what's going in, be the bridge that connects the people behind a game with the people who love the work they're doing. Alot of companies barely care about communication with the people they're trying to sell their game to. A few mods in the forums, a couple of GMs on twitch playing a game and they think the rest will manage itself.
    Online games ain't a new thing; and someone with experience only needs to take a look back to see what other companies did wrong and should try to avoid to make the same mistakes.

Anyways, rant over. I still hope that HU recovers somehow and manages to lure a bunch of people to play that game. I actually enjoy creating builds for characters and their items.

You can be sure Nexon know everwhere they failed, because they did it on purpose. We just waste time in trying to say them what to do (they dont care).
    They just have hope players deal with it... Epic fail xD

I ramble it, but Nexon can only save HU in turn back on censor and selling Lewd skins; (Even if game shut down in a month, instant pay for Pinky in bikini xD)
    GabeSkywalker
  • LightyearsLightyears
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    Even the artist that worked on HU has left Nexon to work for Pearl Abyss. (A smart move, imo)

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/4733/illustrator-beom-kim-joins-pearl-abyss-new-costume-design-for-valkyrie-warrior-revealed
    Member, Forum Moderator
    edited April 23, 2018
    Lightyears wrote: »
    Even the artist that worked on HU has left Nexon to work for Pearl Abyss. (A smart move, imo)

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/4733/illustrator-beom-kim-joins-pearl-abyss-new-costume-design-for-valkyrie-warrior-revealed

They probably work as a freelance artist for the developer (CWavesoft), not Nexon. You can work on multiple projects that way and he doesn't seem to have quit making art for HU as the the new Tae Guk skin in Korea also seems to be drawn by them.

EDIT: might have mixed one artist up with the other, seems there were 2 artists/illustrators? ... one left then i guess.

• NaoNao
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,310
    They are still trying their best :c so we cant give up yet ♥