Closed

Censoreship of the game

Comments

• SayaneSayane
    Hyper Universe Rep: 200
    edited August 27, 2017
    Killua wrote: »
    The edits definitely made them better.

how so? Kurenai has different sized boobs, dunno about you but i've never seen a woman with natural boobs have one boob bigger than the other nor have I investigated online to see if that's a thing. There might be but i'm sure it might be a rare case.

look at the censored kurenai and look at its perspective and everything, one boob is bigger than the other and that ain't human normal. It's funny cause the community manager said this " ...reducing chest size a little bit, making the physics a bit more realistic " LOL

by the way big boobed ladies don't exist in this world at all. HA, or they do but they aren't "human"
  • SayaneSayane
    edited August 27, 2017
    Hey guys,

A few people have already had great responses in this thread, but I want to take time to answer your questions as well. In alpha, there was a pretty hot debate in a forum thread (which ended up being our longest forum thread for alpha) about how the females are presented in the game, 5 forum pages later a few people agreed that a compromise between super busty/skimpy and covering up might be for the best. This is what we are attempting to do. We want to keep the appeal of the female characters (and males for that matter!) while not offending anyone. We want to keep the artist's integrity in-check, but make the game inviting to not only play, but watch as well.

The changes so far have been pretty minimal, mainly focused on reducing chest size a little bit, making the physics a bit more realistic (there were some funny side effects of reducing the chest and not adjusting the physics), and slightly covering up chests to not reveal as much bust line. This is going to be a case-by-case thing. Not every Hyper and skin in the future will get this treatment.

All-in-all, we want to keep the general designs of the current Hypers and skins, so if modifications are made in the future they will likely go the way of what you already have seen - slightly more covering shirts/tunics and reduced breast size.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to elaborate where I can. For upcoming Hypers and skins, you'll just have to wait until the next test to see for now, sorry. ;)

Cheers,
    Raz

P.S. the white line on Celine's behind is a bug, and I have notified the team.

Well you just offended me with this censorship, a person who actually plays your game but don't worry. I'm sure people who don't play your game are happy cough cough SJW cough cough.

I Don't like censorship in any game cause it ruins the authors/creators creative idea. I don't care if a censored part is male of female, I don't like censorship AT ALL. Especially unnecessary censorship like in this case.

I'll temporary stop playing this game until I see a mod that decensors everything you guys censored. I heard someone was working to decensor stuff but if no mod comes out then I'm peacing out of this game, forever. If we ever get an uncensored mod and you guys start banning people for using that mod then lol, you can start by banning me cause u can bet I'll be using that mod.
  • SereneThunderSereneThunder
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    I couldn't agree more. I hate censorship in all of the games I play. Although I rarely comment/make threads I even made one for MxM that blew up and that got shut down by the mods because their stance for their game after the censorship was essentially "take it or leave it, it's not going to change no matter how much feedback you give." And that kind of attitude made me stop playing that immediately. And honestly after that fiasco I don't care enough anymore to make a detailed dissertation on why censorship is bad, but since everyone's said so much I'll make a pretty simple point:

What is the name of this game? HYPER universe. Not "moderate, mild, catering to both sides" universe, it's Hyper Universe as in Hyper: in excess or exaggerated, over the top. The setting is over the top. The men are super exaggerated, the creatures are super exaggerated, and the women? You guessed it: exaggerated. That's the creators'/artists' vision for the game and I understood it all at first sight because it was all-pervasive, so damn consistent, and it flipped a middle finger at all these developers, companies, and other games that bent over to the censorship brigade. I loved that. But for every one person you placate with censorship I guarantee you're going to lose 2 that feel betrayed like I was by MxM, and more that may still play your game, but won't spend as much money or play it with the same enthusiasm/time investment as they would without it. You know how I know that? Because censorship is the norm. Almost every game I've ever played has experienced it in some way, shape, or form. By going along with the fad, you prove your game to be just as mediocre and "un-Hyper," if you will, as the rest of the MOBA's out there that want to please everyone and instead end up mildly upsetting everyone. In other words, there's already a thousand games out there that cater to more moderate people and you'll just be another one of that thousand. Why not dare to stand out? Why not dare to be Hyper? Be true to your name or be known as a fraud.

P.S.: And before anyone reiterates the same old position about compromise: there is no pleasing everyone unless you're willing to put in more work, and like the other posters suggested, have both options available. If not, you're either going to lose us, lose the guys who don't like us, or you're going to try and take the middle road solution and end up killing the lifespan of your game like right now because no one REALLY likes it anymore. But your CORE AUDIENCE is the people who by and large who play this game, and will still play your game years down the road when a new shiny game swoops up all the others who might have been interested but didn't care for the theme/aesthetic to begin with. Your core audience likes you for who you are and hopefully continue to be. We came and played this particular game because we thought you were different than the rest. So why not choose the fans who actually like you for being you instead of the ones who think you need to change to fit their tastes? Cater to both of us if you really feel like you're up to the task, but what you're doing now of trying to pretend like you're still loyal to the core audience while creeping up to the other side isn't winning anyone's hearts.
    SayaneShakrina
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    Well, all this bore me. Only one thing is sure : Nexon will chose the best way for most money. Cant blame them for this. But me wont play a censored version of this game. Need an answer about witch way they will take. For know if i uninstall or no.
    Tryed found a link for directly contact Nexon but no one for customer.
    So as community manager @RazielWarmonic i ask it to you, Nexon will continue on this way, censor splash art and for sure later, in game models ?
  • SayaneSayane
    edited August 27, 2017
    Shakrina wrote: »
    Well, all this bore me. Only one thing is sure : Nexon will chose the best way for most money. Cant blame them for this. But me wont play a censored version of this game. Need an answer about witch way they will take. For know if i uninstall or no.
    Tryed found a link for directly contact Nexon but no one for customer.
    So as community manager @RazielWarmonic i ask it to you, Nexon will continue on this way, censor splash art and for sure later, in game models ?

They will continue to censor the game and I'm basing this on what the community manager said. " This is going to be a case-by-case thing. Not every Hyper and skin in the future will get this treatment." - RazielWarmonic

They also tried censoring the models but they failed to do so cause they lacked the skill to deal with what the physics engine was doing when they reduced female characters breast size.

I uninstalled the game and I will only install the game back if someone makes a mod to uncensor what they censored. Unless they themselves decensor the game but let's be honest, we'll see pigs fly before that happens.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    edited August 28, 2017
    One thing to keep in mind maybe lads there is a chance that we would never even be able to play this game in the first place if ncsoft didn't pick it up and if they didn't censor it. I mean in general i like games because of gameplay.
  • SayaneSayane
    edited August 27, 2017
    The game could've reached the West without any censorship, the publishers are too afraid of people who don't play their games calling them out and so they censored it.

"ncsoft" ? you mean Nexon? btw I've been playing Nexon games since 2011 I know how bad they are. This one just triggered me the most, aside from DFO being shut down for no reason and Vindictus being destroyed by p2w but I digress.

The censored art is SO unnecessary, I want to know why they decided to do it. Supposedly they want to cater to a wider audience and not offend anyone lol. They are doign this by giving some females "human" bust size because women with big bust size in our world aren't human, again not offending anyone. "If you pay attention, as some others have quoted, the changes were more so to make the female's chest areas look more human..." -RazielWarmonic (on steam)

Clearly the people managing this game haven't seen what LoL and Smite art looks like and many people play those games; not to mention they make millions.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    Hyper Universe Rep: 330
    Afraid? No, they are not afraid, that is corporation. There is probably other reason behind this. I guess just manager saw single negative feedback about art design of this game and got idea he/she can use it to add more work hours for the entire team. When the game die, he/she will be just moved to other project while he/she will keep tons of acomplished tasks in this game project. And ofc in corpo like Nexon nobody will even notice this changes contributed to kill this game.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    @SereneThunder

Well a name is just a name. It's isn't called "hyper bouncing booby universe" aswell so all in all names do not say a whole lot in the end. Hardly anything about this discussion in particular except that it's the name of the game we are speaking about.

The way i look at this discussion is sorta how i would feel if they would put my big mac in another box then i saw on the commercial. The big mac still tastes the same, so that the box has one drawing or letter extra on it or not doesn't bother me. I just want the freaking big mac already and i can tell you though it tastes good :).

Although from quite a few others i get the feeling the box is allot more important then the big mac itself. Like you guys pay 10 euro's for some splash art that (sorry to say) in comparison with other works of art i have seen is rather pale. Go google for "female ninja assassin anime cup-z" i haven't yet but i bet i can find better pron *cough* i mean "art" for you if needed.

Meh w/e if people really find the box that important that they refuse to eat the big mac thats on them, but i find this whole discussion that the big mac is all of a sudden different a bit over the top. The cover changed a (small tiny) bit, but the contents are exactly the same. you guys claim you are fans of the game, but at the same time one small then already makes you give up on it entirely.

Lets say they revert the "censorship" so after that they "visually update" the splash art at a certain point and it gets less sexualized, but the art itself gets better ? Throw it in the thrash ?

All in all people have a knee-jerk reaction to the word censorship and thats pretty much it. Nothing more nothing less. The game itself didn't get worse or better. If you where a fan of the game before there is no reason to not be a fan now.
  • SayaneSayane
    edited August 28, 2017
    This'll probably be my last rant msg but I'll finish off by posting something a man/ma'm posted on the steam page of the game on a discussion. This person hits everything that I'm talking about but better, and represents how I feel about this whole situation.

"Wait, wait, wait, don't you even dare attempt to judge me or my personal beliefs. My intentions are far greater than wanting to play for "breasts". I want the full game as it is and stands in Korea, I want a publishing company not to take it into their own moral grounds to censor a game because a bunch of random people who probably are not the core audience won't bother staying longer than a month. I've wanted to play this game for a while now after watching videos on the Korean version, but if you actually have the balls to say it's over "breasts" then you're lower than I thought. This has nothing to do with breasts it's the core principal that we as players want a game untouched when it's brought to the west, exactly as what Korea has." - Bleeding Romeo (on Steam)
    Shakrina
  • KingArthurKingArthur
    Hyper Universe Rep: 390
    vfQeBFt.png

UMe8Xpc.png

fTqoLP5.png

WWud3Vq.png

ce3S8Jd.png

pyw253C.png

Man, even paid skins got censored. You really don't want my money do you Nexon? :/
    ShakrinaWatchGintama
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    edited August 28, 2017
    God dat censor stupid af.
    [LINE REDACTED FOR NAME CALLING]
    Well, will just make my daily vs AI till global release and if this still there, uninstall will be my only move.
    Wont waste time like for Tera for find originals textures.

But anyway when i read everywhere how ppl complain about the censor of this game. I guess game is born dead.
    AFKzor
  • RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
    Hyper Universe Rep: 2,300
    Well, will just make my daily vs AI till global release and if this still there, uninstall will be my only move.

But anyway when i read everywhere how ppl complain about the censor of this game. I guess game is born dead.

Friendly reminder that you are allowed to post constructive criticism, your opinion, etc but calling people and companies names will be deleted / modified. This has been your first warning.
  • LorelleLorelle
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    edited August 28, 2017
    Looking at the Before and After pics.

Shrinking a cleavage window a little doesn't mean the cleavage window still isn't there. The only difference is the boobs are smaller and slightly less cleavage is displayed, but the boobs are still huge and there's still tons of cleavage anyways! (and it doesn't look like the skimpy lower parts were touched) I really don't see the point of censorship if it's not going to actually censor anything, as instead of "blocking" anything, this "censorship" merely toned it down a little. The final designs are still sexualized, still something I wouldn't want my children to look at, and still something that would make me feel embarassed if a non-gaming (or comic-reading) friend or family member who wasn't used to seeing women always slapped into bikini armor and cleavage windows walked in on me playing the game.

Because of that, I don't think this change is really going to attract significant new players at all. Meanwhile there are quite a few players who are clearly put off by it. They really shouldn't have even bothered.

(although I do think the boobs originally were so big that it actually made some of them look creepy, but they stated the intent of the censorship in this thread and removing creepiness wasn't it. ...and several of the new designs have lopsided boobs which is just as creepy)
  • AFKzorAFKzor

Friendly reminder that you are allowed to post constructive criticism, your opinion, etc but calling people and companies names will be deleted / modified. This has been your first warning.

Yes, you are the best. Now give your consumers warns, GJ!
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    edited August 28, 2017
    KingArthur wrote: »
    vfQeBFt.png

Man, even paid skins got censored. You really don't want my money do you Nexon? :/

And on game forum site we have:
    2c408c3d0554ac136d09597d2addc694.png

So that is false advertisement.
    Arbitrary
  • gonzolanzogonzolanzo
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    At least we know the CM is keeping an eye on the discussion, even if it's just to publicly warn a poster. I just hope all opinions are being considered, not just the ones coming from the people who called for the changes in the first place. Personally, I still think giving us the option to chose which assets to play with is the most fair solution.
  • RazielWarmonicRazielWarmonic
    Hyper Universe Rep: 2,300
    edited August 28, 2017
    AFKzor wrote: »

Yes, you are the best. Now give your consumers warns, GJ!
    We have forum rules and no one is exempt from them: http://forums.hyperuniverse.nexon.net/discussion/3/official-forum-code-of-conduct

As for your comment post on the top of the forums, we are still updating old artwork around the website, the forums included.
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    edited August 28, 2017
    @Lorelle

I can agree with this statement yeah. No clue how they are less sexualized or how it's now less provoking. Yeah they maybe decreased by 1 % or something. It's part of the reason why i'm not bothered by the "censoring" in the first place. It does boggle my mind indeed as to why exactly in the end. Some chars it actually fits better, but i can't help but notice the succubus angel skin has something weird going on. Most likely since they shrunk the sides, but not the bottom. Looks off somehow.

Edit: well it seems they did shrink the bottom aswell, but something about the right side armpit connection isn't right. Maybe i'm seeying ghosts O.o
  • DriftlockDriftlock
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    One thing I really wish game developers in general would consider is this...if they're taking the time to censor a model, why not make it an option?

Add/create parental controls and allow us to toggle whether we're seeing the censored or uncensored versions, much like chat/mature filters you find in games. I find that simple and a fair compromise to censorship, but often find that for whatever legal/preferential/whatever reason, companies never do so.
This discussion has been closed.