Censorship Option, and the POWER OF CHOICE

HegokenHegoken
Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
edited August 30, 2017 in Suggestions and Feedback
It is no surprise to anyone that the censorship of Hyper Universe is causing a huge heated discussion in the forums from both the Hyper Universe Site as well as the Steam forums of the game.

Censorship is no stranger in video games; especially with games that come from Japan, Korea and other eastern countries. And every time it causes a rough relationship between the gamers and the western company doing the censoring. Hyper Universe is no exception.

It's always important for the company to know who their target audience is, and where their money is going to come from (their fans/supporters). Right now Hyper Universe is new, and is being introduced to the Western audience, who are constantly being told by the media what they can and cannot be exposed to. Over the years, this has become more and more frustrating to both older and younger people. It has now gotten to the point where people are turning away from sources that preaches or dictates what they think is better for them. Leaving the gamers and viewers no choice in the matter.

That I think is what is most frustrating about the whole situation; to be robbed of choice for the sake of small groups that believe what we should and should not be exposed to. We each have our own preferences, likes and dislikes, and we shouldn't be ashamed of it. But when a company or group of people take away our choice and dictate what they believe we should be exposed to, THIS IS WRONG.

I truly believe Hyper Universe's staff think what they're doing is right, and they think they're protecting people from what they perceive to be harmful to others. They claim that they are catering to both parties, both people who are sensitive to sexual stuff, and those who very much enjoy some eye candy of sex appeal. The fact of the matter is that they are not catering to both parties. They are catering to people who don't enjoy sexy things by reducing the breast size of characters, reducing the physics animation of the characters in game, and I don't doubt there's more. Now that they have started on this path, it won't end, it'll get worse and worse. It always starts small and grows into something worse.

Most people I have met who play this game first got interested in this game from the art. The awesome looking characters and beautiful bodacious ladies was a stroke of GENIUS to get people to notice the game. It worked, and it worked very well. Just look at he header graphic of this website and admire it! (do it before they change it!) Now that they are getting some traction and more people are noticing this fun and beautiful game, they are suddenly reducing the 'sexiness' of the game, without even consulting the community that has just helped putting them on the map!

What I propose to the administrators of Hyper Universe is to give each playing who believes in this game and is willing to support it is THE POWER OF CHOICE. I propose they create a toggle for the censorship. By default the games censorship can be turned on, but to toggle it off would REVERT THE GAME BACK TO THE KOREAN ORIGINAL VISION OF THE GAME'S AESTHETICS. The Hyper splash arts, and physics will be the same as the Korean version of the game (its original artistic vision).

This will absolutely cater to both parties in the best way possible. Everyone gets exactly what they want and how they want it. The few who are bothered by sexiness can have theirs censored, while the rest of us can enjoy the original artistic style that lured us into playing this game. Each player will have that choice, and that alone is all any person could ever ask for.

If you agree with my proposal, please support they post, click, thumbs up, and share your thoughts. WE DESIRE CHOICE! WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE! MAKE YOURSELVES HEARD!
TomekPLArbitraryQurosSirObesityWatchGintamaKingArthurSayaneMaruuAndarielKenomaand 7 others.
  1. Should players have a censorship toggle that will turn the censoring on or off?50 votes
    1. No, we shouldn't have a choice.
       16% (8 votes)
    2. Yes, we should have a choice
       84% (42 votes)

Comments

• ArbitraryArbitrary
    Hyper Universe Rep: 390
    hear, hear! Power to the people!
    GabeSkywalkerzackdollars
  • RawrzoryRawrzory
    Hyper Universe Rep: 430
    I still don't think this option will ever come no matter how many vote yes. It's either with or entirely without censorship. Then again you never know so you got my vote. It would satisfy quite a few people if they did make it.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    Hyper Universe Rep: 330
    I guess the other poll give them more accurate feedback, I mean online under 500. On Steam single discussion about this censorship is more active than this game lol
  • ShakrinaShakrina
    Hyper Universe Rep: 780
    LoL. Devs just dont care about all of this, they know nobody want this censorship (exept some sjws who will never play anyway).
    The real probleme is not the censorship herself, the probleme is they baited us with uncesored version of the game, and now try hard for a pegi 12.
    And dont speak me about gameplay : When you sell black car and give to customer pink car with green mark, no one will care if she got the same function !
    SirObesityArbitraryVenom139
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    Shakrina wrote: »
    When you sell black car and give to customer pink car with green mark, no one will care if she got the same function !

^

• AskichiAskichi
    Hyper Universe Rep: 130
    I understand the argument you are trying to make, by saying the players should have the choice in keeping characters how they were originally made or to a new now modified version. However you also have to think on the part of Nexon with this argument. Nexon Korea and Nexon America are two different companies that have to abide by different localization regulations and Age demographics.

Given that Nexon is starting to change their characters it shows that they want a certain demographic that is different than over in Korea. Also have to keep in mind Nexon America is Localizing Hyper Universe from Nexon Korea, thus meaning they are not creating a game from scratch. Because of this the original character designs and concept art that attracted players to Hyper Universe will be forced to change in accordance of the Age Rating System / Regulations in America and Europe.

As someone who has been in Multiple Alpha/Closed/Open betas on different games for Nexon America, I can tell you they rely a lot on testers to give their feedback about how a game being Localized into America or Europe should be shaped. However Until Nexon gives an official response to changing characters from their original designs, all we can do is speculate on why the decision was made.

I will just make it clear that I am only a player who has played Nexon games for about 12 years of their life and do not work for Nexon in any aspect. Also given that I have been in so many Alpha/Close/Open betas for Nexon America, most of the info players want to hear is behind a NDA. However I would just like to make it very clear that Nexon America does heavily value their testers feedback about how a game should be shaped.
  • AFKzorAFKzor
    Hyper Universe Rep: 330
    Askichi wrote: »
    ...However I would just like to make it very clear that Nexon America does heavily value their testers feedback about how a game should be shaped.

LOL!!!!

This made me laugh!
  • ArbitraryArbitrary
    edited August 31, 2017
    Askichi wrote: »
    I understand the argument you are trying to make, by saying the players should have the choice in keeping characters how they were originally made or to a new now modified version. However you also have to think on the part of Nexon with this argument. Nexon Korea and Nexon America are two different companies that have to abide by different localization regulations and Age demographics.

Given that Nexon is starting to change their characters it shows that they want a certain demographic that is different than over in Korea. Also have to keep in mind Nexon America is Localizing Hyper Universe from Nexon Korea, thus meaning they are not creating a game from scratch. Because of this the original character designs and concept art that attracted players to Hyper Universe will be forced to change in accordance of the Age Rating System / Regulations in America and Europe.

As someone who has been in Multiple Alpha/Closed/Open betas on different games for Nexon America, I can tell you they rely a lot on testers to give their feedback about how a game being Localized into America or Europe should be shaped. However Until Nexon gives an official response to changing characters from their original designs, all we can do is speculate on why the decision was made.

I will just make it clear that I am only a player who has played Nexon games for about 12 years of their life and do not work for Nexon in any aspect. Also given that I have been in so many Alpha/Close/Open betas for Nexon America, most of the info players want to hear is behind a NDA. However I would just like to make it very clear that Nexon America does heavily value their testers feedback about how a game should be shaped.

i really dont get the impression they know their target market and are just copying other mobas that tend to have fewer sexualized characters, they just want to copy the formula for current western mobas as best they can. I think they should cater to the people that have joined them thus far, and not count their chickens before theyve hatched, by turning their backs on their current customers, for trying to copy current mobas. I don't think this is about abiding by regulation, if it was they would've taken out a lot of the sexy characters all together. At this point I'm getting annoyed enough that I may consider leaving if it continues. I want this to be my next MOBA of choice, but knowing it's been watered down for that .1% annoys me immensely. There's really no excuse for not allowing the option either, which is what we're asking for.
  • DeadlyChrissyDeadlyChrissy
    Hyper Universe Rep: 220
    I would like the original!
  • WatchGintamaWatchGintama
    Hyper Universe Rep: 560
    edited August 31, 2017
    I apparently did not notice the changes because I stuck to a single character, but the comparisons posted here are infuriating.* You bring up a good point that it will only get worse if this continues.

And you bring up an excellent suggestion that they can give us an option to turn on the original art. There is one game that already does this in Korea called Destiny Child. They have an 18+ version with the original art and a censcored version that covers with clothing.

Totally unrelated to Hyper Universe but its a game with both options so I wanted to share. And if the devs see this, check out the comments of the video. Many people are pleased with the option.

EDIT:
    What I realized is even worse is that: We are getting an outdated version of the game AND it's watered down. This is just terrible.
    KingArthurArbitraryHegokenTomekPLiWarphVenom139
  • HegokenHegoken
    edited August 31, 2017
    I apparently did not notice the changes because I stuck to a single character, but the comparisons posted here are infuriating.* you bring up a good point that it will only get worse if this continues.

And you bring up an execellent suggestion that they can give us an option to turn on the original art. There is one game that already does this in Korea called Destiny Child. They have an 18+ version with the original art and a censcored version that covers with clothing.

Totally unrelated to Hyper Universe but its a game with both options so I wanted to share. And if the devs see this, check out the comments of the video. Many people are pleased with the option.

On the contrary, WatchGintama, I think this is very relevant to the topic at hand. This just proves that even companies as small as ones that make phone games have the capacity to produce a product that both caters to the audience that prefers reduced sexuality and one that enjoys the more sexy stuff.

Hyper Universe is a much larger company than those that produce small phone games, there's no reason that cannot match those expectations. If anything, it causes a lot more work to do the censoring than leaving things as they are.

And I'm not even seeing a 'thank you' or support from the censor audience for the company censoring the game. This is a real shame since Hyper Universe is getting all this flack from their original fanbase, and nothing good seems to be coming from it.

Thank you, WatchGintama, for bringing this to our attention! Hopefully the administrators will see your post.
    WatchGintamaArbitraryQuros
  • CerzelCerzel
    Hyper Universe Rep: 110
    I agree that a toggle is the best way to please both parties, but there is one part I disagree with. Uncensored should be the default option, not the censored version.
  • Darkside_HeroDarkside_Hero
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    This would be the best overall option.
  • WatchGintamaWatchGintama
    Hyper Universe Rep: 560
    5c5cfd87c636af960efda1f71967a62562583aa5b38731fbba29a1d84f94710e.png

Posted by another user.
    Arbitrary
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    I guess Graves can't have his cigar afterall
  • ArbitraryArbitrary
    edited September 1, 2017

Posted by another user.

sad days...not particularly funny
    Quros
  • shadowjesusshadowjesus
    Hyper Universe Rep: 260
    edited September 1, 2017
    It's cartoon tiddys ... like are people really going to get into heated debates over more or less cleavage? You're playing a game in a somewhat competitive nature. This isn't a game where you design a character so you're not LOSING anything at all. This is 100% a non-issue.
  • ArbitraryArbitrary
    edited September 1, 2017
    It's cartoon tiddys ... like are people really going to get into heated debates over more or less cleavage? You're playing a game in a somewhat competitive nature. This isn't a game where you design a character so you're not LOSING anything at all. This is 100% a non-issue.

It's a game we enjoy, and would like it to include things we like. They've taken away something we enjoy from the game, for a watered down version of it to not offend what is not their target market, or are a very small minority. Its an issue to people who enjoy the game and want it to be what we thought was advertised to us.
    Quros
  • HegokenHegoken

Posted by another user.

I mentioned it on another forum, but I'll say it here too...

I suspect that comment to be entirely fake. Look carefully, the thumbnail image is incorrect, she has her eyes closed. The name is also incorrect, there's a space in between RazielWarmonic's name (there's no name in the real version).

Also RazielWarmonic, is much more refined than to post a message so blankly like that, and would write more of an explanation to the statement.

The Korean's wouldn't change their game due to Western changes, that's unheard of and against how they view things. Did you see Nintendo change their Fire Emblem: Fates when the West censored it?

This is clearly a prank of someone who trying to troll the community who's fighting for choice and not having they game they want censored. I'd ignore it and neglect whatever source that came from. And most of all, KEEP CRYING OUT FOR CHOICE!

Of course if I'm wrong, provide evidence and links to the original source for me to analyze.

But going back to the topic. Do you guys know of other games where the company provided OPTIONAL CENSORSHIP?
    I feel these examples may help Hyper Universe's staff realize that the Toggle Censorship option is more of a practical choice than they realize.
    The closest thing I can think of is Dead or Alive titles. They had this 'Age' Category which would effect the breast physics. So if you wanted them not bouncing you can have them that way. If you wanted them bouncing like crazy, you could crank up the Age to 99.

This is an older game series, and options like this existed then, why not now?
  • SelfRighteousSelfRighteous
    Hyper Universe Rep: 135
    edited September 2, 2017
    I'll just say yes because apparently so many people care about the censorship that they'll cry about it and refuse to play the game. This censorship thing has been dragging out for too long already and nexon NA really should just revert the changes because there is so much backlash. I doubt anything will change regarding this, but just because so many people are complaining about this, they should revert the pictures of the skins back.

If the nexon team is reading these comments we are telling you to change back the skin breast sizes and whatnot, NOT THE NEW PORTRAITS. This will finally get everyone to shutup about the censorship changes and maybe we can move on to more important things in the game.