What caused the fall of Hyper Universe

HegokenHegoken
Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
Posts: 81
Member
in General Chat
So Hyper Universe is certainly a highly disputed game. Some love it, some hate it, but neither hate the gameplay. Regardless, the player base is dwindling as I predicted in earlier forum posts that I made weeks ago.

But why? Why is a game everyone enjoys the gameplay for the most part failing to be a success? Why is the community so divided and heated when it comes to Hyper Universe?

The answer is quite simple. Nexon's failure to dedicate themselves to their PAYING/TRUE SUPPORTING fans. Money makes the world go 'round, and in this case, keeps the lifeblood of the game pumping.
When a player dedicates time and money into a game, they feel inclined to stick with it for a lot longer because of the resources they poured into it.

1) Censorship (the first step)
Unfortunately Nexon really made things difficult for the fans to invest time and/or money in their game. When they refused to listen to their fanbase regarding the censorship debocle they proved that the interest of their established fans (about 400-500 PAYING players in closed beta) was not anything they cared about. They cared about their own agenda, and reducing the sex appeal was their top priority. No compromise with the toggle button or anything. In fact they were willing of dumping more money in censoring the game for art being recreated than pretty their wallets with cashflow of sexy skins from upcoming sexy characters.

2) Poor Publicity (Trickle effect)
By doing this they killed the majority of their established fanbase that dumped tons of hours into the game. News got our fast and everyone started to learn about the censorship and how Nexon not only refused to listen to its fans but even started ridiculing the fans who were speaking out against their change. This poor word of mouth really hurt their chances of getting many more players who may have been uncertain of trying the game and outright stopped players who are against censorship of even trying it.

3) Dividing the Fanbase (Snowball got bigger)
The fanbase grew divided, those who supported Nexon and their censorship and fan treatment, and those who didn't. The discord, a platform to discuss matters of Hyper Universe stopped being a place for discussion. Fans who were against the censorship would get attacked and flamed off the channel and anyone who did not agree with everything Nexon did would not be welcome. The fans began to attack each other, and people outside of the community looking in could see how malicious they were to one another. Another reason for new players to get involved with Hyper Universe

4) Queue time from lack of players (Now it effects everyone)
So with the drastic decrease of active players (sitting in the menu screen doesn't mean you're playing) the queue times to even get into a game increased drastically. With so few players it seemed if you even got into a game you'd be getting in a game with nothing but AI opponents. Some queue times would take up to 20mins or longer. There are a few LOUD players who keep saying they only wait 1-3 mins to get into a game, but the evidence is in the contrary. Many players end up leaving the game due to wait times between games is far too long.

5) Too scared pay/support (Now everyone anticipates the fall)
Not many players are going to pay for skins or anything in the game because players are smarter than Nexon believes. Players can see the low amount of active players and how it is still dwindling. There is very little point of buying skins or anything in this game that would only be shut down later and NOT REFUNDED. In fact, it even states upon buying a skin that there are possibilities of changes to the skin at a future date. Now the average intelligent players won't even dare put a dime on this game and Nexon's risky business practices.

So as you all can see Censorship wasn't the ONLY reason for this games fall, but it definitely was the trigger that caused a chain reaction to the fall of Hyper Universe.

So what do you all think? Was there something I missed? Share your thoughts!
kaiser1oneSirObesityShakrinaUncensoredorBustZeroHerzTomekPLChristmasChan

Comments

  • MgicsparkleMgicsparkle
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    Posts: 3
    Member
    edited February 18, 2018
    IDK, when I wanted to Try this game, there was a bug in the main page, where we couldn't download the client. So I was like whatever, and I never tried again, today I decided to come to the forum to read the experience of other players, The bug in the main site is fixed now. but after reading I don't want to experience Master x master all over again. And it reads exactly like that.

    Tough I stil find hard to belive some Censorship is the main reason players leave, like wth they cover some boobs better stap playing, first world problems lol.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    Posts: 34
    Member
    The whole censorship bit is people complaining because they like to complain. Do you really believe that more than an infinitesimal percentage of players would have played the game except that they're upset that a few hypers show an inch too little of skin, so now they're not going to? It's not like they suddenly decided that Celine, Tatyana, and Camilla should now dress like Aisha or Victoria.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
    Posts: 81
    Member
    I personally believe that is has less to do with boobs and skin showing as opposed to the idea that a company believes they can dictate what the players want to expose themselves to.
    It's a matter of choice, and a matter of the company listening to the fans. Not a simple matter of T&A.

    A lot of people keep saying it's not a big deal, but clearly it must be if a company feels they need to spend time and resources in changing it. If it wasn't the game would have left it as is and the fans would have nothing to complain about.

    People don't like censorship, be it censoring gore or sex. They want the raw unaltered version of things. When your mom covered your eyes during a horror movie and tells you don't look it kills the thrill that a horror movie is intended to provide. I suppose it feels a lot like that for people about Hyper Universe.

    Either way, it has already happened, the trickle effect has already occurred. Now we simply wait and watch what happens.
  • MgicsparkleMgicsparkle
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    Posts: 3
    Member
    edited February 18, 2018
    Hegoken wrote: »
    I personally believe that is has less to do with boobs and skin showing as opposed to the idea that a company believes they can dictate what the players want to expose themselves to.
    It's a matter of choice, and a matter of the company listening to the fans. Not a simple matter of T&A.

    A lot of people keep saying it's not a big deal, but clearly it must be if a company feels they need to spend time and resources in changing it. If it wasn't the game would have left it as is and the fans would have nothing to complain about.

    People don't like censorship, be it censoring gore or sex. They want the raw unaltered version of things. When your mom covered your eyes during a horror movie and tells you don't look it kills the thrill that a horror movie is intended to provide. I suppose it feels a lot like that for people about Hyper Universe.

    Either way, it has already happened, the trickle effect has already occurred. Now we simply wait and watch what happens.

    Laws, rules, culture etc. are diferent in each country. So the content have to be according to those and the specific consumer, so products, services games etc adapt. Players these days complaining about a company cuz they dont give them a choice to watch boobs, and feel oppressed for it. is something that not even in my deepest retarded non logical dreams could have imagine lol.

    Responsible moms don't let their kids watch horror movies that are usually rated not for children. Cuz you know those rules are there to protect children.
    Censorship is there to Take care of children and consumers. So idk why anyone would be mad with a company that is being responsible with children and content in internet.

    The advantages of censorship...
    Protect children.

    Disadvantages of Censorship...
    Players cant choose to watch boobs or more skin. And they might feel oppressed, cuz you know that's an inhuman thing to do.

    I stay with Censorship.


  • QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    Posts: 34
    Member
    Is the first version of something that an artist releases now sacred and must never be changed? What if the artist doesn't like something about his first version of a model and wants to tweak it? Is that censorship? Iteratively modifying various components of a game happens all the time, and without it, games would never even be ready for alpha testing.
  • DeviaPuellaDeviaPuella
    Hyper Universe Rep: 225
    Posts: 8
    Member
    Imo first thing that this game is suffering and slowly dying from is the Nexon brand itself. I'm not downplaying people's concerns over the censorship but I honestly doubt it's anywhere even close to the main reason compared to how disenfranchised people have become over anything published by Nexon over the years and those new to the game would find out that there a lot more problems than just censored bewbies.
  • kaiser1onekaiser1one
    Hyper Universe Rep: 485
    Posts: 11
    Member
    Imo first thing that this game is suffering and slowly dying from is the Nexon brand itself. I'm not downplaying people's concerns over the censorship but I honestly doubt it's anywhere even close to the main reason compared to how disenfranchised people have become over anything published by Nexon over the years and those new to the game would find out that there a lot more problems than just censored bewbies.

    The censorship isn't the main reason. It was the start of things that happened though. "Cause Nexon" is another of the reasons.
    Quizzical wrote: »
    Is the first version of something that an artist releases now sacred and must never be changed? What if the artist doesn't like something about his first version of a model and wants to tweak it? Is that censorship? Iteratively modifying various components of a game happens all the time, and without it, games would never even be ready for alpha testing.

    People have an issue when the changes are done because "we don't want to offend anyone" and "think of the children". These are 2 of the worst reasons usually used as reason to make changes in a game. In HU case, there was no issue until it was coming to NA. Now all a sudden, things are an issue (allegedly). Just go read the main thread on here and Steam and you'll get why this whole thing blew up.
    Laws, rules, culture etc. are diferent in each country. So the content have to be according to those and the specific consumer, so products, services games etc adapt. Players these days complaining about a company cuz they dont give them a choice to watch boobs, and feel oppressed for it. is something that not even in my deepest retarded non logical dreams could have imagine lol.

    Responsible moms don't let their kids watch horror movies that are usually rated not for children. Cuz you know those rules are there to protect children.
    Censorship is there to Take care of children and consumers. So idk why anyone would be mad with a company that is being responsible with children and content in internet.

    The advantages of censorship...
    Protect children.

    Disadvantages of Censorship...
    Players cant choose to watch boobs or more skin. And they might feel oppressed, cuz you know that's an inhuman thing to do.

    I stay with Censorship.

    The game had no issues with laws or rules. That idea was shot down in the censorship threads. Also in these threads; it's about more than just "muh boobs". We COULD argue that they censored the males, but let's be realistic; they didn't. Males don't get censored unless it's outfits in Germany or something like that. "Think of the children" doesn't work here because I bet those same kids are playing LoL or GTA. No complaints there but somehow a little bit of cleavage and big breasts will tear their mind asunder? Yeah; no. You should go read the censorship thread here and on Steam and then you'll see why this was pointlessly done.

    As for the last part of your post, it should read:

    Advantages of censorship in gaming - Appease a crowd that may not even play the game (this is happening now with HU)

    Disadvantages of censorship in gaming - piss off your base, loss of money, loss of money, bad PR, low player counts, loss of player trust, label of "that censored game". The only exception to this is if a game is so popular that it won't be an issue but is still greatly unappreciated (Tales of Berseria)
    SirObesityShakrinaUncensoredorBustDeviaPuellaDialXi
  • KrzywdzicielKrzywdziciel
    Posts: 3
    Member
    Oh come on, all it comes to "They don't wanna make this game easier for me, so I'm gonna cry. I wanna see more boobs"
    Get chill dude, this game started month ago. Even League of Legends had poor as Sh#t player base at the start. Let this game roll and trust in the nexon for once.
    They have nice "update plan with disco dog" so they wont just randomly push stuff in this game, for me it seems great.
    If you wanna spam like that go ahead, but wait at least half of the year...
  • BearilBearil
    Hyper Universe Rep: 185
    Posts: 17
    Member
    edited February 21, 2018
    A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.

    Scorpion=Nexon
    Frog=community

    "Trust Nexon" after the previous messes on other games? Thats a good one

    Trust is earned not given and Nexon had too many screws up on the past to give the benefit of doubt
    SirObesityDialXi
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    Posts: 53
    Member
    Bearil wrote: »
    A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.

    Scorpion=Nexon
    Frog=community

    "Trust Nexon" after the previous messes on other games? Thats a good one

    Trust is earned not given and Nexon had too many screws up on the past to give the benefit of doubt

    That is a good way to put it.
  • CypherousCypherous
    Hyper Universe Rep: 120
    Posts: 14
    Member
    So, lets answer some of this :P

    1) The censorship, while a cute thing to see you all bandwagon on about like it is the most important thing in the world, is absolutely flogging a dead horse that nobody actually cared about, none of you actually genuinely believe this is an issue, and if any of you do genuinely think that then you're literally saying you don't think its fair that they gave you smaller boobs and more realistic boob physics and you should probably re-evaluate why you play games in the first place because nobody that matters actually cares about the marginally smaller boobs, whine all you want about it but its not the reason the game is failing at all, if that were the actual reason then it wouldn't be gaining players and failing to retain them so stop trying to cling on to this joke and actually take a long hard look at the game

    2) ignoring the parts covered by the above, there isn't really much you can do to market a game like this, its a niche title, yes the game is decent enough and fairly solid but the market for a side scrolling MOBA is pretty small, who exactly are you going to advertise this to? and even when you do get new players, the game isn't able to retain them, so advertising at this stage is fairly pointless

    3) Is there actually a point to this part other than to whine about censorship for the 3rd time? the divide isn't linked to this issue, the divide is linked to balance, you have the hardcore players who want the game to become an esport and be difficult and you have the casual players, the issue is the game is very punishing to casual players and those are the lifeblood of your game, as much as you hate it you do need those players if you want the game to survive and this game is a lot more heavily geared towards the hardcore players

    4) Queue times get longer as you have less players, and this game sucks at player retention as evidenced by the steam graphs, for that to change you need to make changes so that new players aren't immediately put off from wanting to play the game, lets face it, the "on boarding" or NPE (New Player Experience) is pretty poor, you have an extremely basic tutorial that doesn't really teach you a whole lot, the game is lacking "feedback" to players when their actions fail and to play the game you essentially have to have read a small mountain of character info, simple things like having the text "immune" pop up when you flashbang a target you is unable to be stunned, things that teach the players who are playing the game instead of expecting them to have read the entire game info section, which could do with some real work, you can very clearly tell this is a korean game with how biased the learning experience is, sadly not every group of players wants to read everything and you still need to retain those players :P

    5) Well if the game retained players then that issue would resolve itself, the total number of owners for the game keeps going up so new players are installing the game but at the same time the number of active players is steadily declining, if censorship were really the reason then they wouldn't be installing the game in the first place, which is why you people really need to stop trying to beat that excuse to death

    In short, the game needs to work out whats causing players to leave and fix it, censorship isn't the reason
  • kaiser1onekaiser1one
    Hyper Universe Rep: 485
    Posts: 11
    Member
    Cypherous wrote: »
    So, lets answer some of this :P

    1) The censorship, while a cute thing to see you all bandwagon on about like it is the most important thing in the world, is absolutely flogging a dead horse that nobody actually cared about, none of you actually genuinely believe this is an issue, and if any of you do genuinely think that then you're literally saying you don't think its fair that they gave you smaller boobs and more realistic boob physics and you should probably re-evaluate why you play games in the first place because nobody that matters actually cares about the marginally smaller boobs, whine all you want about it but its not the reason the game is failing at all, if that were the actual reason then it wouldn't be gaining players and failing to retain them so stop trying to cling on to this joke and actually take a long hard look at the game

    2) ignoring the parts covered by the above, there isn't really much you can do to market a game like this, its a niche title, yes the game is decent enough and fairly solid but the market for a side scrolling MOBA is pretty small, who exactly are you going to advertise this to? and even when you do get new players, the game isn't able to retain them, so advertising at this stage is fairly pointless

    3) Is there actually a point to this part other than to whine about censorship for the 3rd time? the divide isn't linked to this issue, the divide is linked to balance, you have the hardcore players who want the game to become an esport and be difficult and you have the casual players, the issue is the game is very punishing to casual players and those are the lifeblood of your game, as much as you hate it you do need those players if you want the game to survive and this game is a lot more heavily geared towards the hardcore players

    4) Queue times get longer as you have less players, and this game sucks at player retention as evidenced by the steam graphs, for that to change you need to make changes so that new players aren't immediately put off from wanting to play the game, lets face it, the "on boarding" or NPE (New Player Experience) is pretty poor, you have an extremely basic tutorial that doesn't really teach you a whole lot, the game is lacking "feedback" to players when their actions fail and to play the game you essentially have to have read a small mountain of character info, simple things like having the text "immune" pop up when you flashbang a target you is unable to be stunned, things that teach the players who are playing the game instead of expecting them to have read the entire game info section, which could do with some real work, you can very clearly tell this is a korean game with how biased the learning experience is, sadly not every group of players wants to read everything and you still need to retain those players :P

    5) Well if the game retained players then that issue would resolve itself, the total number of owners for the game keeps going up so new players are installing the game but at the same time the number of active players is steadily declining, if censorship were really the reason then they wouldn't be installing the game in the first place, which is why you people really need to stop trying to beat that excuse to death

    In short, the game needs to work out whats causing players to leave and fix it, censorship isn't the reason

    1. The many people who refunded the EA, the many people who won't buy a skin, the many people who disagree with the censorship or lack of a toggle and still play, and the many people who don't even play the game because of the censorship fiasco is proof that people cared. The people that "matter" to a company are customers. In HU case, customers that purchase skins. The censorship debacle is one of the reasons the games numbers have suffered. Some say it's THE issue but it's just one of them, in actuality.

    2. There was hardly any advertising before they started trying to. I only even heard of this game because a friend of mine wanted to cosplay pre-censored Punk Athena (or whatever the one with the bat is called). Their advertising attempts have been pretty poor. They tried FB and Twitter but social media is quite unreliable with algorithms screwing reach. They have almost 19k likes on FB; FB algorithms turn that into 200 if you're lucky.

    3. There has been past talk about how the official Discord was.......volatile. Word gets around for stuff like that. It can easily create a divide.

    4. I picked up this game during beta pretty easily. Maybe that comes from playing LoL for a small bit of time. There's always room for improvements though.

    5. A game like this also has to compete against other more popular titles that aren't MOBA. Reminds me of when Warhawk on PS3 was hot and then GTA 4 came out and yanked a good chunk of the player base. It never recovered. Especially with more games coming out. HU may be of a similar dilemma. But, let's not kid ourselves into thinking the censorship debacle or "cause Nexon" doesn't have a hand in this either. You aaaalso have to take into account the people who will install the game but find out their IP restricted and thus can't play. This happens a lot in Vindictus from what I gather.

    Censorship may not be causing a bunch of players to leave (assuming; of course) but it's definitely a hinderance to more joining. Once some get wind; they uninstall or won't even play.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical
    Hyper Universe Rep: 275
    Posts: 34
    Member
    kaiser1one wrote: »
    the many people who don't even play the game because of the censorship fiasco is proof that people cared.

    So your argument is that the game is unsuccessful because people running around making a huge fuss about some stupid thing that doesn't matter scared off a ton of players who would otherwise be playing the game?

    Then again, doesn't the problem of ex-players screaming about how awful a game is happen to basically every game ever? And usually with more to back it up than "a few characters show an inch less of skin than they used to".
  • kaiser1onekaiser1one
    Hyper Universe Rep: 485
    Posts: 11
    Member
    Quizzical wrote: »
    kaiser1one wrote: »
    the many people who don't even play the game because of the censorship fiasco is proof that people cared.

    So your argument is that the game is unsuccessful because people running around making a huge fuss about some stupid thing that doesn't matter scared off a ton of players who would otherwise be playing the game?

    Then again, doesn't the problem of ex-players screaming about how awful a game is happen to basically every game ever? And usually with more to back it up than "a few characters show an inch less of skin than they used to".

    Reread my last post.

    Yes, it does happen in almost every game. Majority of those games didn't censor themselves for no good reason. Censorship is a big taboo in gaming.
    UncensoredorBust
  • BearilBearil
    Hyper Universe Rep: 185
    Posts: 17
    Member
    Censorship was one of the causes not the only one. Problem is that those problems combined created an snowball effect of issues. For example, when people anti censorship left made queues worse which made more people that was playing despite censorship to leave as well because they didnt like the queues and so.
    Add the mediocre publicity, the bad press it got due to paying unsatisfied fans, the bad fame Nexon has at shutting down games, the increased uncertainty and that the gameplay is good but not exceptional (even before the censorship on korea was a very niche game with a relatively low population) and its the perfect recipe for disaster.

    And do remember that the players who spend real cash are the ones who keep games alive, scaring them showing an uncertain future makes them behave like stock holders and they will play safe not investing on a more risky, more volatile than usual assets, or by reducing considerably the money they spend on it
    UncensoredorBustDialXi
  • SirObesitySirObesity
    Hyper Universe Rep: 610
    Posts: 53
    Member
    edited February 22, 2018
    You guys should take probably take part of the HU Steam forums. The debate is much more heated in there.
  • LukoiLukoi
    Hyper Universe Rep: 105
    Post: 1
    Member
    Quizzical wrote: »
    The whole censorship bit is people complaining because they like to complain. Do you really believe that more than an infinitesimal percentage of players would have played the game except that they're upset that a few hypers show an inch too little of skin, so now they're not going to? It's not like they suddenly decided that Celine, Tatyana, and Camilla should now dress like Aisha or Victoria.

    Came here to say that you're oblivious if you sincerely dont see how many potential players are turned away by the censorship. This is why I refuse to support this game in any way, even tho Im a big Fighting game and a MOBA fan. The moment they decided to censor this game, the player count tanked to 11 players online PEAK, and all the negative reviews at the time were about the censorship. RALLY stupid.
    UncensoredorBust
  • TsarTankTsarTank
    Hyper Universe Rep: 100
    Posts: 6
    Member
    It will blow over...those people will come back because they love the game and all the emotions will subside. I honestly don't care, I enjoy the gameplay and the competitive side of the game. Once season 1 hits and new characters come out and the new map. People will come back when they realize that there is nothing out there in the market right now.
  • HegokenHegoken
    Hyper Universe Rep: 1,225
    Posts: 81
    Member
    TsarTank wrote: »
    It will blow over...those people will come back because they love the game and all the emotions will subside. I honestly don't care, I enjoy the gameplay and the competitive side of the game. Once season 1 hits and new characters come out and the new map. People will come back when they realize that there is nothing out there in the market right now.

    If the developers thinking is the same as yours, then this game is clearly doomed.

    You haven't even taken into consideration that the players that left will simply play another game instead. There are TONS of games that will cater to the desires and needs of the players that NEXON NA has scorned. At this point, I believe the company needs to admit their faults and do everything they can to win back the paying customers that were initially invested in the game.

    I myself left this game and bought Nier: Automata, and dumped $60 into King's Raid (a phone game). They scratched the itch that this game was supposed to scratch. Good action, and good appealing EXAGGERATED characters while I do it.

    Should they continue the course thinking the way you do, the game will dwindle little by little and die. The numbers speak for themselves.

    Something big needs to happen, and it'll have to be loud.
    UncensoredorBustSirObesity
  • goliathfasagoliathfasa
    Hyper Universe Rep: 105
    Posts: 2
    Member
    edited March 1, 2018
    I think the number one thing is that people who found out about this game would take a look at it, and go "looks like an interesting game, looks fun and wow these female characters sure have some nice... assets." And then they go to the forums and see that there was a big "controversy" and "debacle" about the censoring of the female characters' artworks.

    And they went "wait so... the female characters were even MORE busty? And jiggly? And revealing? And everyone quit because they made them less busty, jiggly, and revealing - bust still extremely busty, jiggly and revealing?"

    You can see from the point of view I just presented, yes? It sounds silly and pathetic as all hell.

    Now, I'm not discounting the experience of those who played from the start. They had what they paid for changed, and they're entitled to be upset. But you try to see things from those who joined later... the whole thing just looks embarrassing.

    Personally, I still find this game incredibly fun, and am sinking more money into it to buy skins.